Firefighters rescue a person from a smoke-filled flat last night after a fire broke out.

A 999 call was made just before 12.15am on Sunday by someone saying they could hear an alarm coming from the building and that there was a person inside.

Upon hearing this crews from St Mawes and Truro fire stations were sent, with the instruction that there were 'persons reported'.

A spokesperson for Cornwall Fire and Rescue said: "On arrival at the scene firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the flat and rescued one person.

"The fire was in a kitchen appliance and was quickly extinguished."

Three other neighbouring properties were also checked for possible smoke logging.

"An ambulance attended and treated the casualty for the effects of smoke inhalation.

"Devon and Cornwall Police also attended," added the spokesperson.