RUBBISH strewn across a beach, burning fires and broken bottles confronted Falmouth mayor Steve Eva when he was called to Gyllyngvase early this morning

Mr Eva said he found the remains of several fires, one with glass bottles broken in the fire, to hot to remove or pour water on as it could have shattered.

He told the Packet: "I was called to Gyllyngvase Beach this morning. It was covered in rubbish and remains of fires (several) one still burning with glass bottles broken in the fire too hot to remove and we could not pour water on as it would shatter glass which could be embedded into the sand

He said the problem appeared to be 14 to 18-year-olds drinking and building fires

"Certainly not holiday makers," he said. "These are Cornish Kids not giving a damn about their beaches."

Last week the Packet published pictures of people gathering in groups of more than six and lighting fires on the beach.

Read next:

Falmouth Packet:

Fires were lit on the beach last Tuesday

Town Council and Safer Falmouth were actually on Gyllyngvase Beach this Easter weekend talking to beach-goers about how we can all work together to keep the sand safe for everyone.

Environmental officers and representatives from the University of Exeter were on hand from midday giving helpful tips about BBQ’s, open fires and disposal of litter to keep our beaches safe and beautiful.

Falmouth Packet:

The team at the time of the launch last year

Falmouth Town Council and Safer Falmouth, the multi-agency partnership working to reduce and prevent crime, disorder, and anti-social behaviour, are asking for everyone’s help in keeping Falmouth’s beaches safe for residents, visitors and marine life.

In a joint statement the beaches were: "An essential part of local life, Falmouth’s beaches offer a spectacular environment for recreation and support the town’s tourist economy, and problems like open fires, dog fouling and littering can threaten the public’s safety and could lead to the loss of a beaches’ Blue Flag status.

"By working together to keep the sand safe, we can ensure a safer, cleaner and greener environment for everyone."

Sand Safe, the campaign from Falmouth Town Council and Safer Falmouth, was launched last year and aims to improve beach safety by promoting these three simple rules:

  • No open fires on the beaches
  • Clean up after your dog and adhere to summer dog restrictions
  • Bin your litter and leave only footprints
  • No open fires on the beaches. BBQ’s are permitted on some beaches but must be disposed of in the bins provided.

Read next:

Beach visitors condemned for leaving behind rubbish and even human waste

Burning material can cause serious health issues. Screws in timber, sharp metal grill plates and embers can cause injury to adults, children and animals. Fires can cause plastic ‘pebbles’– a combination of melted plastic, shingle and seaweed- that can enter the food chain with devastating consequences for wildlife.

Stick to a BBQ where permitted, follow the safety instructions provided, never leave a BBQ unattended, keep children and pets away and let the BBQ cool completely preferably using water or sand before moving it and disposing of it carefully and responsibly in the bins provided. Never bury a BBQ in the sand as this could cause serious injury.

Clean up after your dog and adhere to summer dog restrictions.

The average dog produces a staggering 20 stone of waste annually, and if left on the beaches this damages the environment and poses a health risk, particularly to children.

Bin your litter and leave only footprints.

Litter, particularly plastic, will go straight into the ocean and will begin harming wildlife right away, entangling animals and entering the food chain. The advice is to be mindful of what you bring to the beach, and make sure you take everything home with you afterwards.