ON the way out to a call out to deal with some out of date pyrotechnics, members of Falmouth Coastguard Rescue team came across a serious accident involving a cyclist.

The team was on its way to Falmouth Marina to reports of the explosives dumped in a trailer, when they came across the accident in Melvill Road, Falmouth. No other vehicle was involved but the cyclist had sustained serious injuries.

The team worked with an off-duty policeman from out of county and a passer-by, to help the casualty and assess and treat their injuries.

An ambulance was called and the injured person was taken the Royal Cornwall Hospital in Truro. The road was closed for a short while to allow a police investigation to be carried out.


Falmouth Rugby Club offers temporary accommodation for G7 security services

The team thanked the public for their help in dealing with the incident which happened at around 4pm on June 4 but has only just been reported.

The coastguard helped the casualty in Melvill Road. Picture Falmouth Coastguard Rescue Team

The coastguard helped the casualty in Melvill Road. Picture Falmouth Coastguard Rescue Team

In a post on Facebook the Falmouth Coastguard Team reported: "Team initially tasked to a report of some TEPs (Time Expired Pyrotechnics) dumped within a trailer at Falmouth Marina

"Specially trained team members collected and made them safe, before transporting back to MRCC Falmouth Coastguard

"While on route to this incident, a second Coastguard vehicle came across an accident on Melville Road, involving a cyclist (no other vehicles were involved)

"The cyclist had sustained serious injuries and working with an off duty ‘out of county’ Police Officer and passerby, a Coastguard Casualty Carer assessed and treated said injuries.

"An Ambulance had already been requested and further team members had arrived to assist with traffic control and casualty care.

"Once South Western Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust Paramedics had arrived, the casualty was transferred to them and taken to Treliske Hospital for further treatment.

"Team members then assisted Police on scene before being released to return to station.

"The road was closed for a short while this operation was carried out and for a Police investigation.

"Thanks to the members of the public who stopped to offer assistance."