The Falmouth Methodist Church building is to be sold and the congregation to find a new home, it has been announced.

The news was revealed on Facebook today by Local Preacher Jean Whetham, causing great sadness in the community.

The church on Killigrew Street, across from The Moor, has been the venue for numerous weddings, funerals and events over the years, with the original building on the site dating back to 1791. This was followed by a further building in 1837, with the basis of the existing building completed in 1876, before major reconstruction during the Second World War after it was bombed.

However, it appears that its 200-year history with Methodism in Falmouth is to end, as a result of issues with the roof proving financially unviable.

  • Read more about the reasons for the decision HERE.

Miss Whetham wrote: "Today we pray for the congregation and leadership of Falmouth Methodist Church.

"Last week the decision was made, with considerable sadness, but with unanimity, that the problems with the roof are beyond us, and that therefore we should seek to move out of the current building and sell it.

"We don't know where we will meet once the building is gone or how long we will remain there but we do know that we remain a people of God and you hold us in your hands."

The roof was damaged in gale back in 2008, which also revealed other repairs that needed to be done.

Despite launching a Falmouth Methodist Church Regeneration Project, with various 'raise the roof' fundraising events, the problems have proved insurmountable.

According to the Falmouth Methodist Church website, the first Methodist chapel on the present site opened in 1791, described as a simple building with plenty of space, followed by a further building in 1837.

The basis of the present building was completed in 1876, with a seating capacity of 1400 – one of the largest in Cornwall – and cost £6,000. The new Falmouth Circuit was formed in 1932.

The church suffered bomb damage twice during the war, on October 9, 1940 and again on May 13, 1941.

According to the website the shell of the building remained intact but the inside was very badly damaged and on the first occasion several lives were lost. The congregation moved to Berkley Vale Methodist for ten years whilst the Central Methodist was being renovated. The cost of this was £44,000 and the reconstructed church was dedicated by Rev Leslie Weatherhead, President of the Methodist Conference, on March 14, 1956.

The church changed its name in 1979 to Falmouth Methodist Church when Pike’s Hill was closed, and a new joint society was formed.

Since then the church became part of the newly formed Falmouth and Gwennap Circuit in 2008 and in the same year the pews from the main body of the church were removed to enable more flexibility.

Members of the Scouting and Guiding Movements meet in the building as well as the Community Choir and self-help groups.

Easter Sunday 2019 saw the launch of the Regeneration Fundraising Project in order to make the building more user-friendly.

The Packet has contacted Falmouth Methodist Church for more details.