Sustainable children’s clothing company Frugi has picked up not one but two awards given by the Queen - although staff didn't get to meet the monarch herself. 

Instead she sent her representative in Cornwall, Colonel Edward Bolitho. 

The company was finally presented with its two 2020 Queen’s Awards for Enterprise which had been delayed due to Covid.

The award ceremony was not able to take place in 2020, but yesterday The Lord Lieutenant of Cornwall, Colonel Edward Bolitho presented the two awards to CEO Sarah Clark, co-founders Lucy and Kurt Jewson and all Frugi staff at their headquarters in Helston.

The Queen’s Awards for Enterprise are the most prestigious awards for UK businesses. Since the awards’ inception in 1965 over 7,000 companies have won a Queen’s Award.

Frugi won not just one, but two awards being recognised for both Sustainable Development and International Trade and were one of only four companies to achieve a double award in that year.

With a wider mission to help raise the next generation of eco-heroes, Frugi prides itself on its sustainable commitments throughout the business while exporting to over 500 retailers in 30 countries across the globe.


Students respond to challenging year with great set of GCSE results

Co-founder Lucy Jewson MBE, who was also awarded an MBE in the 2020 Queens Honours for her services to ethical clothing design, sai: “Better late than never! "We are delighted to be able to formally accept such a prestigious award.

"The business is growing at a phenomenal rate both nationally and internationally, which just indicates the global demand for well-designed organic and ethical clothing.

"We couldn’t be where we are without so many great customers, which is why we try to provide the best customer experience possible, whether you are in the UK, Germany, the US, or Iceland. It just makes sense,” she says.

This is the second time that Frugi has won the Queen’s Award for International Trade. It first won the award back in 2014. However, it marks the first time it has been awarded the Queen's Award for Enterprise in Sustainable Development, highlighting the brand’s clear sustainable leadership and innovation in areas such as packaging and stakeholder engagement.

Currently, 90% percent of its clothes are manufactured from Global Organic Textile Standards (GOTS) certified organic cotton and the remaining 10% are outerwear and accessories made from recycled post-consumer PET plastic bottles.

Frugi donates 1% of annual proceeds each year and in 17-years has so far donated £850,000 to various causes. Their long-standing partnership with the National Trust offers a unisex range with proceeds supporting coastal wildlife.

Furthermore, by supporting Eco-Schools and LEAF, two worthwhile initiatives operated by the environmental charity Keep Britain Tidy, children are encouraged to earn a Green Flag certification for their school and use nature as a classroom through outdoor learning with hands-on experience.

Sarah Clark, Frugi CEO, comments: "The Eco-schools initiative is an ideal way for schools to embark on a meaningful path towards improving the environment in both the school and the local community, while at the same time having a life-long positive impact on the lives of young people and their families. We are delighted to offer long-term support to programs such as these, as well as numerous local charities across Cornwall."

The Queen’s Awards for Enterprise are open to applications from almost all businesses of all sizes throughout the UK in every sector. Winners are allowed to use a recognised Royal Emblem that will get their business noticed, above and beyond the competition.

Recognised as an outstanding British brand, a Queen’s Award is likely to increase sales and international growth, is a boost to staff morale and an opportunity to celebrate with local authorities, planners, supply chain and other all stakeholders. For more information on the Queen’s Awards go to