Fears that someone was trapped inside a burning flat last night led to the highest level of emergency response.

Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service said its Critical Control room received multiple 999 calls just after 10.40pm yesterday (Thursday), saying a fire had broken out in a flat at Copperhouse, Hayle.

As some of the calls said they believed the person in the flat was still inside, the incident was given the highest priority.

Three fire crews - one from Hayle and two from Tolvaddon - were sent immediately, along with two flexi-duty station managers.

Police and the ambulance service were also called to attend.

A fire service spokesperson said: "As some callers stated that the occupant was still inside and unable to escape, the incident was treated as persons reported.

"Two of our appliances arrived within eight minutes of the first 999 call."

Thankfully, when they arrived they found the person had managed to get out themselves, although they were suffering from the ordeal.

"Crews found one casualty outside of the property suffering with smoke inhalation and difficulty breathing.

"The crew administered first aid and oxygen to the casualty, while two breathing apparatus wearers entered the property, which was smoke logged, to search for any other persons who may have been inside," added the fire service spokesperson.

By 11.05pm the crews confirmed that everyone had been accounted for, and identified that the fire had started in the kitchen of the second story flat.