Falmouth Eagles battled hard to secure a 19-3 victory on their first game of the Western Counties League at the Recreation Ground.

Falmouth fell behind in the early stages conceding an early penalty in front of the posts to let the opponents into a lead in the 8th minute.

The home side replied in great fashion that 19th minute Falmouth had a lineout in the Tiverton 22 which was worked well to Jonny Wood who touched down under the posts. Rob Coote successfully smashed the conversion home and Falmouth found themselves 7-3.

The home side were playing with confidence and moving the ball really nicely, they got the second try that their efforts deserved after they took a penalty quickly and captain Tom Spiller crossed over the line to put Falmouth in the driving seat. Again Coote converted the simple kick to 25th minute.

In the 27th minute tricky winger Bingham broke away for Tiverton and looked certain to score but for an excellent sprint and covering tackle from Billy Bateson.

On 31 minutes Falmouth were reduced to 14 men as number one Ashley Searle was sin binned for an offside offence as Tiverton broke forward. It mean that Falmouth had to dig deep but a number of heroic tackles saw the home side finish the first half with a 14-3.

Despite having Searle back after the break Tiverton continued to mount pressure on the Falmouth defence but to no avail.

Having soaked up wave after wave of attack Falmouth broke away and showed their clinical nature with a well taken try in the 57th minute. They moved the ball fluidly up the pitch, and a little up and under kick in behind the Tiverton defence proved to be problematic for the visitors.

The bounce of the ball completely flummoxed the Tiverton full back and it allowed Rory Pugh to walk in and touch down to give Falmouth some breathing space. 19-3

The away side fought back but once again a well disciplined and resolute Falmouth defence were equal to their efforts. Tiverton thought they had scored a consolation late on but the ball was adjudged to have been thrown forward in the build up to the try that never was.

Falmouth could have added another try late on but a breakaway was well cut out by the covering Tiverton winger.

The referees full time whistle was welcomed by Falmouth who will hope to continue this positive start to the season when they face Truro away next Saturday.

Falmouth Eagles RFC: A. Searle, J. Martin, D.Burroughs, S.Dunstan, T.Vincent, A. Kindjarsky, B.Bateson, T.Spiller (C), B. Duncan, R. Coote, N.Carne, J.Wood, R. Pugh, P. Egerton, O. Evans

Subs: A. Bullock, T. Duncan, P. Morgan

Tiverton RFC: B.Blake, M. Elliott, R. Simmons, J Dicker, T. Skielding, M. Phillips, B. Vickery, M. Hague, J. Sampson (C). C. Stone, B. Bingham, A. Howell, G. Whiting, E. Howells, J. Onley - Gregson

Subs: R. Clarke, O. King, J. Fairclough

Referee Harry Groves

Try scorers: J. Wood, T. Spiller, R. Pugh

Conversion R. Coote x2