RESIDENTS had to be evacuated from a property in Chacewater late last night after a carbon monoxide alarm went off.

A fire crew from Tolvaddon was called to Station Road in Chacewater at 9:34pm after the alarm went off. The residents evacuated and the emergency services were called. Firefighters found the the source of the leak was a faulty flue on an oil burner. A gas detector found 300 parts per million of CO2 in the property. They isolated the boiler and ventilated the property to remove the poisonous gas.

A report from Cornwall fire control said: "One crew from Tolvaddon was mobilised to a property where the carbon monoxide alarm had sounded. The residents had evacuated the property on crews arrival, using a gas detector firefighters identified 300 parts per million of carbon monoxide in the property.

Firefighters identified the source of the gas as a faulty flue of an oil boiler. Firefighters isolated the boiler and ventilated the property until the gas monitor was reading 0 parts per million of carbon monoxide.

How to prevent Carbon Monoxide poisoning

Make sure all appliances are installed and maintained by a professional.

Keep chimney flues free from blockages - for more information visit chimney fire safety.

Ensure your home has enough ventilation and airbricks are not blocked.

Protect your family from this silent killer by fitting a CO alarm approved to BS EN 50291.

What to do if your carbon monoxide alarm sounds or you suspect a leak

Stop using all appliances, switch them off, and open doors and windows to ventilate the property.

Evacuate the property immediately. Stay calm.

Call the emergency number: 0800 111 999 to report the incident, or Health and Safety Executive (HSE) Gas Safety Advice Line 0800 300 363.

Seek immediate medical help and advice if you think you have been exposed to carbon monoxide.

Go immediately to your local Accident and Emergency Department (A&E) if you are feeling unwell after being exposed to carbon monoxide.

Never go back into the property, wait for advice from the Emergency Services.

Supporting information

If you suspect you have carbon monoxide poisoning, don't hesitate to visit your General Practitioner (GP) as soon as possible. Diagnosing carbon monoxide poisoning is not easy because it simulates many other conditions, so do say what you think is wrong.

Ask for either a blood and/or breath sample to be taken without delay. That's because your body's carbon monoxide level will reduce the longer you are away from the contaminated environment, making it harder to detect.