Wendron United earned themselves a place in the Semi-Final of the Cornwall Senior Cup with a comeback 2-1 victory over Sticker at Underlane.

The hosts had more of the ball in the first half but were a goal down going into the break when Dan O'Hara slotted a ball beneath the keeper to make it 1-0 with 37 minutes played.

But Dron came out fighting in the second half and two goals from Cameron Wheat including a close-range volley and a well-placed long shot secured the victory which was their third over Sticker this season.

The opening seconds belonged to Sticker as they flew out of the blocks, but were unable to penetrate the Dron defence.

The home side grew into the game and Thomas Walter ought to have done better when he was allowed to cut in and shoot with seven minutes played, his ferocious effort flew wide of the upright, however.

Walter proved to be a nifty outlet for Wendron in the first half constantly finding space on the right-wing. Max Roberts picked him out with a pinpoint diagonal pass in the 16th minute but again the winger failed to find the target with his shot.

With 22 minutes on the clock, Sticker reminded Wendron they were still in the fixture when they rattled the bar. Sonny Dover, who was the driving force for the away side in the first half, was allowed to shoot from range, his effort took a wicked deflection which forced the ball to ricochet back off the crossbar.

Two minutes later Wheat should have scored his first of the game when he was exquisitely played in by Lucas Potts, but the number 11 could only hit a tame effort straight at the goalkeeper.

Wendron were always threatening on the break and Joe Souch should have done better when he was played in behind in the 35th minute but his effort from an ever-tightening angle was deflected over the bar.

The visitors finally broke the deadlock for the game in the 37th minute thanks to a moment of pure genius from striker Joel Cockings.

Sticker won the ball back in the Wendron half and accurately picked out Tom Tallis.

The left-sided player fed Cockings who channelled his inner Dennis Bergkamp by pulling off a mesmerising flick to feed O'Hara who fired under Fearn to make it 0-1.

After the break, Wendron came out of the blocks with extreme intensity as they looked to find a way back into the match.

In the 50th minute, Scott Palmer demonstrated immense character to drive with the ball from his own half and into the area before being brought down. The sliding Sticker defender was adjudged to have won the ball though according to the referee.

Goalkeeper Fearn could have had an assist in the 56th minute when he unleased Wheat down the left with a humongous throw, the winger looked to be in on goal but opted to square the ball rather than shoot and in doing so the chance was spurred.

It was the first of a frantic few minutes for Wheat who in the next attack saw a low right-footed shot go straight at the goalkeeper, he then produced a wonderful cross which Walter somehow headed wide.

Dom Richards was having a busy day in goal for the away side and made yet another save when he showed great composure to claim a low free-kick from Wendron's Charlie Young.

The home side were having all the chances but Cockings issued a reminder that Sticker were still leading with 62 minutes played when he forced Fearn into an acrobatic save when he shot from 25 yards out.

They weren't leading for long however as in the next attack Wheat had Wendron back on level terms.

Young and Fred Walter did well to combine on the right, Walter got to the byline and did superbly to dink a ball to the back post to the lurking Wheat.

The winger made no mistake this time with the effort volleying into the opposite corner to grab the equaliser that had been coming on 66 minutes.

The hosts were really upping the pressure and with 76 minutes on the clock Wheat notched his second of the game. The winger found himself with time on the edge of the area, and after shuffling the ball onto his stronger left foot the goal scorer placed his effort into the top left corner out of the reach of the diving Richards in between the posts.

Such was the dominance of the home sides spell they never let Sticker have even a half-chance in the remaining minutes. Sticker owed a lot to their goalkeeper Richards in the 87th minute when he pulled out a marvellous finger-tipped save to keep the visitors in with a fight.

But in the cold, wind and rain Wendron held on to book themselves a place in the Semi-Finals, with the draw for the next round on Monday, January 17 at 12 pm.


Wendron United

E. Fearn, F. Walter, S. Palmer, M. Roberts, R. Carroll, J. Stocker,T. Walter, L. Potts, C. Young, J. Souch C. Wheat

Subs: J. Noy, B. Scoffin, J. Wood, S. Young, S. Williamson


D. Richards, H. Chapman, T. Tallis, A. Taylor, C. Cooke, M. O'Callaghan, D. Dover, R. Edworthy, J. Cockings, J. Nancarrow, D. O'Hara

Subs: I. Vaarga, A. Flack, L. Clapham, M. Rowles-Jane, G. James