An Alex Wharton hat-trick sent Porthleven FC to their third league defeat in a row against Falmouth Town Reserves at Gala Parc.

The visitors had taken an early lead through Charlie Edney before Wharton doubled the advantage midway through the half. 

A screamer from home captain Martyn Webster halved the deficit as the sides went into the break 2-1 but it was Falmouth Reserves' second-half showing that put breathing space between the sides. 

A strike from Sam Pickup was sandwiched between two more Wharton finishes as the reserves flourished in the second 45. 

Porthleven fielded a young squad for the match including eight players from their under 18 side including their returning top scorer Dan Parker. Three first team regulars rolled out for Falmouth Town with Scott Kellow, Ade Thompson and Wharton all starting for the Reserves outfit.

The away side could have been in front after 15 seconds when an outside of the foot pass from Kellow picked out Charlie Edney who was in on goal. But the forward could only slide his effort marginally wide of the far post. 

He was more accurate with his next chance though with four minutes played. The forward remained inside after patching onto a pass from Sam Pickup before rolling a shot past the keeper to take the lead.

Port were growing into the game and stayed committed to playing out from the back. Dan Parker looked for his 17th of the season on 27 minutes but blasted a half volley wide of the target after a corner had fallen his way.
Edney ought to have doubled the away sides lead after 28 minutes when Keegan McPhilbin was robbed of possession in the midfield but the striker fluffed his lines when bearing down on goal.
The hosts were struggling to break down the Falmouth back line and that was demonstrated when Webster shot from just outside the centre circle, but that speculative effort went wide of the mark after 33 minutes.
Town doubled their advantage with their next attack through Alex Wharton. The winger was well picked out by Edney with an intelligent through ball. The home side's keeper stood tall to save his first effort but was helpless to save the rebound as Wharton dummied a defender out the way before rolling into the empty net.
The home side were not dampened by this set back though and cut Falmouth’s lead by half after 38 minutes in spectacular fashion. Jack Caseley was fouled 25 yards out from goal and Webster stepped up to missile the following free-kick into the far corner to make it 2-1 heading into halftime. 

The next goal in the tie was always going to be vital in deciding what way the match was going to go and the away side burst out of traps after the interval in search of it.

Wharton came close to adding his second with 48 minutes played after a move that started on the right flank found its way to the winger on the left side of the box. But his venomous effort rattled back off the post.

Port weathered the early Falmouth pressure though and created a chance of their own on 54 minutes after a free-kick was cleared only as far as Connor Webb, the attacker on the right side of the box cut in and shot which deflected for a corner. 

The following set piece had to be punched off the line from Falmouth's number one, it fell as far as Webster who found room to dig out an attempt that had to be flicked over the bar by a visiting defender.

Town Reserves should have got their third on the hour mark when Tyreece Galloway's cross caused mayhem in the middle. Port's keeper could only fumble the cross to Wharton who volleyed back across the box with the goal gaping as another opportunity went begging. 

They did eventually make it 3-1 with 63 minutes on the clock. A wide free-kick located Byron Wood at the back post, he nodded the ball across goal in the direction of Wharton who had the simple task of tapping into the empty net. 

It was the first of two quickfire goals as in their next attack they were celebrating again. Starting from the back they did well to move the ball down the left-wing. Once again Wharton was involved, beating his man before laying the ball back to Sam Pickup who curled first time into the far corner to make it four after 65 minutes.

Port showed great character to have the better of the minutes that followed as they looked to keep themselves in the match. A defensive mishap allowed McPhilbin a half-chance, but the midfielder from a wide-angle couldn't curl into an unguarded net.

The home side felt that they ought to have been awarded a penalty in the 78th minute when Webster went to the ground following a corner but the referee was quick to dismiss those appeals. 

But despite the Porthleven response, it was Falmouth's Wharton who would get the next and last goal of the game to seal his hat trick and the match. Cutting in from the left wing with a step over the winger then bent the ball into the far corner beyond the reach of the keeper to put the game beyond doubt with four minutes of the 90 remaining. 

Port did have the final chance of the game when Webster did superbly well to wriggle away from two defenders in the 89th minute but when one on one with the keeper he could only put his shot straight at Telling as the scores remained 5-1 at the final whistle.

Porthleven F.C:
S. Jackson-Guy, J. Nolan, E. Hubbard, D. Bray, M. Webster, K. Mcphilbin, K. Sargent, J. Harrison, D. Parker, C. Webb, J. Caseley

Subs: E. Broome, J. Wharton, T. Jose, H. Tucker, J. Salter

Falmouth Town Reserves:
Z.Telling, B. Wood, A. Barnicoat, J. Ware, A. Thompson, S. Kellow, R. Martt, S. Pickup, A. Wharton, C. Edney, R. Hill

Subs. A. Westgarth, L. Chinn, T. Galloway. E. Sorey