The South West Peninsula League has announced that Penryn Athletic have withdrawn from the league ahead of the new season. 

The decision comes just weeks before the start of the pre-season, and the league campaign where Athletic were due to travel to St Blazey on the opening day. 

Manager Micky Hunt, who had joined as the new boss in April, has also left the club. 

A statement on the SWPL website on Tuesday, June 21 said. "We have received notification in writing from Penryn Athletic AFC that they wish to withdraw from Step 6 of the NLS (SWP Premier West).

"The club may wish to issue its own statement as to the reasons behind the decision but the withdrawal letter cites the manager (Micky Hunt) leaving the club and a player exodus.

"Having checked with FA staff, we can confirm that as the AGM has passed that no further alteration to the league constitution can be made, and as such the league will run with 36 clubs, with 19 in Premier East & 17 in Premier West.

"The FA have also confirmed that as Penryn Athletic withdrew after the league AGM they will be regarded as the bottom placed club in the Premier West Division for season 2022/23.

"Penryn Athletic are also in breach of FA standardised rules and a financial penalty, as per the fines tariff, will be imposed in due course."

The 2021/22 season was Penryn's first back in the South West Peninsula League as they finished 13th in the table. 

Tom Blewett, a committee member at the club explained the reason behind the withdrawal, he said: "It is the fact that we only have a handful of players left over from last year. The manager's job was really hard. He tried getting players in because a load had left but his job was really hard. It wasn't easy getting people in.
"He texted yesterday to say he was really struggling to get players. We had a committee meeting last night and this was the only option. Obviously we don't want this, I am gutted, absolutely gutted.

"It was our only option. We can't bring our seconds up as they have only just come up. It is horrible, I or nobody wanted to make the call. Pre-season training was supposed to start today. But because of the lack of players we had no other choice."

Blewett also explained the future for the club now it has lost it's first side: "We have our second's now first team in the St Piran League (newly promoted from the combination league).

"We are going to work really hard, put our all into that. Hopefully next year or at some point after that we can get up into the Peninsula after that."

"The lack of players, and the manager who resigned because he couldn't get a team together. It wasn't us who couldn't get a squad together.

"We worked hard, I am gutted."