Hopes of back-to-back wins for Cornwall RLFC were crushed by their playoff chasing opposition as Hunslet RLFC came from behind to triumph 34-26 in a hotly contested tie at the Memorial Ground in Penryn.

Following their history making 24-4 away win at West Wales Raiders the previous week the Choughs, chasing what would have been their first home victory, flew out of the blocks in the opening stages and took an early lead through Aaron Bishop-Jones in the eighth minute of the game.

The try came following a handling error from the visitors when taking a high ball. The drop fell perfectly into the path of the lively Harry Aaronson, who after being brought down, was able to feed the ball back to centre Bishop-Jones to ghost past the offside backtracking defenders to crash beneath the posts, with Joe Purcell adding the extras to make it 6-0.

The pressure from the home side continued, roared home by the 946 in attendance the Choughs were twice denied tries by covering defenders just beating Cornish men to low kicks behind the try line.

They did double the lead though in the 19th minute through Tom Ashton. The ball was span out wide to the the centre who bounced off one challenge before picking a gap in the defence to score.

Jamie Prisk opted to take the kicking duties, but regardless of the change in kicker the outcome was the same as Cornwall raced into a 12-0 lead.

The 12 point deficit seemed to finally spring the away side into action and on the half hour Macauley Hallett tapped into the bottom left corner under pressure with Pat Walker accurately nailing the extras for 12-6.

Three minutes later Hunslet used the momentum to their advantage as they levelled the tie with a try that was a carbon copy of their first score with Hallet tapping down in the same corner and Walker once again kicking between the sticks to make it 12-12.

Brad Howe made his debut alongside Paul Bolger as interchanges although Bolger's performance was halted seconds after his entry to the pitch due to picking up a blood bin injury.

With the last play of the half Hunslet completed the flurry of scoring to turn the game on its head. This time it was the turn of Harvey Hellas to get in on the act touching down right beneath the posts leaving Walker with a routine kick to make it 18-12 at half time.

The hosts came out determined to get back in the game and they got the start they were after with Liam Whitton crossing over in the 45th minute. An attack looked to break down but Cornwall did superbly well to keep up the pressure, and quick hands eventually found the ball to Whitton who charged through the open Hunslet backline to score. Purcell returned to kicking duties to make it 18-18.

It was a tense affair with both sides throwing everything at it to get the game's next points. A slick move from Hunslet found Hallet in the corner for his hat trick with Walker again wearing his shooting boots with his kick to make it 24-18.

Cornwall's Whitton was then sent to the sin-bin but it wasn't quite clear what for as the hosts were a man down for the following ten minutes.

This gave Hunslet an advantage to create some breathing space in the tie and the did just that with Josh Jordan-Roberts and Jack Render scoring while Cornwall were a man short with Walker continuing his accuracy from the kicking tee to make it 36-18.

Their lead could have been extended further were it not for the superb defending from Purcell. The Cornwall man stood tall to barely take down the onrushing Jordan Paga who had look destined to cross over the try line.

The Choughs did grab the last try of the game in the last action of the tie thanks to a superb individual run from Aaronson. Just metres out from his own try line the stand off intercepted a rogue Hunslet pass before finding the energy to dash the length of the Memorial Ground to score much to the delight of the crowd with Purcell converting to make it 24-36 at the full time whistle.

Cornwall are home again in their next match on Saturday, July 9 when they take on Doncaster with kick off at 1pm