A second half double from Rubin Wilson proved to be the difference as Helston Athletic made it back-to-back derby victories over Falmouth Town at Kellaway Park on Tuesday evening.

Meeting for the second time in just four days, this time in the Western League, Wilson opened the scoring early in the second half after Ryan Barnes had parried an initial effort from Jordon Copp.

Falmouth fired in a response when Alex Wharton came back to haunt his old side when he was quickest to the loose ball in the Helston area to level the score in the 82nd minute.

But the cliche 'you're at your most vulnerable when you've just scored' proved true as within 60 seconds of the restart Wilson had put Helston back in front with a poachers finish following good wing play from Jude Tripconey.

The win is Helston's second of the league season which moves them up to tenth in the table, level on points with Falmouth in ninth who have played once more in the division so far this season.

You can read how the drama unfolded live here.

430 spectators made their way to Kellaway Park to witness the second clash in less than a week between the two rivals. Town started the game the better of the front starts but failed to turn their early pressure or corners into any clear cut chances.

In fact the games' first glimpse of a goal came when Jordon Copp of Helston let fly with just under quarter of an hour played, but his left-footed strike sailed over the bar.

Both teams were guilty of sloppy play which put an end to most attacks for either side. Town, like they did on Saturday, continued to have more of the ball but couldn't turn their possession into anything of note.

On the half hour, Cam Hutchinson, seeking his first Town goal, attempted to bend an effort into the far corner, but the former Camelford man couldn't quite wrap his foot around the ball as the effort flew wide.

Joshua Storey should have at least hit the target with what was the best chance of the half for either side seconds before the half time whistle when he got on the end of a delightful Tom Payne delivery, but somehow the header pinged wide right of the goal from such close range as the sides went into the break all square.

Falmouth continued to be the better of the two sides in the second half and this time were being more threatening with their attacking play. Andreas Calleja-Stayne, starting ahead of Charlie Edney in Town's only change, should have put the visitors 1-0 up when Tim Nixon picked him out from a corner. But from inside the six yard box he could only head the ball over the crossbar with 53 minutes played.

Nixon's deliveries continued to cause havoc for the Helston defence who just about scrambled his next corner away, the Falmouth winger opted to take matters into his own hands with his next effort by whizzing a shot in from the left but his strike though powerful, flashed across the goal mouth and out of danger.

Those misses proved to be costly because arguably against the run of play Helston took the lead. Jordon Copp did tremendously well as the midfielder ate up the grass on a mazy run which attracted the attention of Falmouth defenders. Despite being surrounded by black and amber shirts he managed to prod a strike away which could only be fumbled by away custodian Ryan Barnes, and the ball fell perfectly to Wilson who found himself in the right place at the right time to bury home the rebound in the 57th minute.

Just after the hour mark the former Saltash man was inches away from making it two after being played in on the left side of the box. His low shot though came back off the far post as the home side looked to extend their lead.

Falmouth steadied themselves amicably though and Nixon showed great skill to spin his man and shoot in the 67th minute but his low strike was straight at Cory Harvey.

Falmouth's willingness to level the match left them vulnerable on the counter and they were grateful to the desperate defending of Scott Kellow in the 72nd minute to keeping the scoreline at just 1-0. The right back showed immense bravery to fling himself in the way of a goalbound rocket from Wilson to deny the striker a second goal of the night.

Alex Wharton was introduced for Calleja-Stayne at his old stomping ground and the decision to bring him on looked to be an inspired one as he levelled up the tie with just eight minutes remaining. Luke Brabyn drove at the Helston line, cutting in from the left side before thundering a bouncing effort goalward which was too hot for Harvey to handle. The keepers' spill fell right onto the foot of Wharton who had the easy task of tapping home for his third goal in all competitions this season.

But Town were only on level terms for a matter of seconds as straight from the kick off the home side were in front again. Substitute Jude Tripconey showed electric pace and drive to get away down the left hand side before putting a cross into a dangerous area in the box. The ball landed at Copp's feet and though his shot was sliced the ball rolled kindly to Wilson who couldn't believe his luck as he was presented with a golden opportunity just yards out.

The talisman made no mistake with his shot knocking the ball into the back of the net to spark mass celebrations in the Helston dugout.

Falmouth then threw everything at it in their hunt for another equaliser. Wharton came close with a half volley from the edge of the box which could only fall wide of the mark. Them Hutchinson missed a golden chance in the seventh minute of stoppage time when he was unmarked in the area to get on the end of a teasing cross. But the midfielder couldn't get enough on the header to guide it home as Helston grinded out another narrow victory.

Bragging rights for Helston who make the first of two trips to Torpoint Athletic in a row on Saturday in the Western League, meanwhile Falmouth will look to get back on the right side of the scoreline when they host St Austell in the FA Vase at Bickland Park.


Helston Athletic: C. Harvey, F. Walter, I. Burdon, H. Jewell, J. Bentley, J. Storey (C) S. Colwell, T. Elliott, T. Payne, R. Wilson, J.Copp

Subs: M. Searle, J. Tripconey, R. Hill, T.Hands, W. Brown.

Falmouth Town: R. Barnes, S. Kellow, K. Gordon-Dunn, T. Annear, T. Moxham, A. Calleja-Stayne, J. Webber, C. Hutchinson, T. Nixon, L. Barner, L. Brabyn.

Subs: C. Edney, M. Everall, A. Wharton, J. Swann K. Davies.

Referee: Mike Halford

Attendance 430

Packet Man of the Match: Rubin Wilson

READ NEXT: Helston Athletic 2-1 Falmouth Town FA Cup match report