Playing this Round 9 game in the RFU Championship away in the league at cold Caldy the home side emerged narrow 15-14 winners.

Following early morning snow and a slight delay in kick-off after the Pirates had arrived late at the ground, the Pirates got off to an encouraging start.

Tuima firstly concentrated Caldy defenders and then, after being awarded a penalty five metres out, it was alert scrum-half Ruaridh Dawson who quick tapped and scored the game’s opening try.

Fly-half Arwel Robson added the extras.

Falmouth Packet: Prop Olly Adkins, nearest camera, was making his first league start for the Pirates.Prop Olly Adkins, nearest camera, was making his first league start for the Pirates. (Image: Brian Tempest)

With smatterings of snow on the field, the cold and damp conditions were less than ideal, and it was perhaps of no surprise when home full-back Elliot Gourlay was luckless with a penalty kick at goal when an opportunity came his way.

It was apparent in the early stages that the Pirates had the edge at scrum time, and after Tuima carried off the back the ball found its way to Tucker who scored a converted try under the posts.

Caldy looked to respond and, after centre Mike Cartmill found space to run, he was, to the relief of faithful travelling Pirates supporters, bundled into touch.

However, points would soon come the way of the home side when Gourlay was successful with his second penalty attempt of the afternoon.

Leading to half-time there was a spell of kick tennis before the Pirates were awarded a kickable penalty. Feeling confident, however, they opted to kick for the corner, only to knock the ball on at the resulting line-out, for half-time to arrive shortly after with the score reading 3-14.

Falmouth Packet: Scrum-half Ruaridh Dawson is a happy try-scorer.Scrum-half Ruaridh Dawson is a happy try-scorer. (Image: Brian Tempest)

In centre Dan Bibby and wing Nick Royle they also possessed two former England sevens men and, after Caldy’s flanker Martin Gerrard firstly grub kicked forward, it was prolific try-scorer Royle who kicked further ahead and scored out wide to quickly reduce the deficit.

Soon on the attack again, an increasingly confident-looking Caldy strived to seek more points, their cause aided when the Pirates went down to 14 men after wing Callum Sirker was yellow carded for an apparent deliberate knock-on.

On the hour mark, some fine work by the home pack led to the ball being spread wide through the hands of Bibby to enable Cartmill to score. Gourlay then stepped forward to duly convert and put The Ravers in front for the first time in the match.

A red card for dangerous play was shown to replacement Adam Aigbokhae.

Caldy's team and supporters were, at the end, understandably delighted to record their first home league match win of the season.

Falmouth Packet: Shae Tucker is about to score the Pirates second try in the match.Shae Tucker is about to score the Pirates second try in the match. (Image: Brian Tempest)

Speaking at the end of Saturday’s contest, an honest as-ever Cornish Pirates joint head coach Alan Paver said: "I don’t want to keep saying a game of two halves, but it really was, and I must first and foremost congratulate Caldy upon their spirited performance and deserved win.

"For 40 minutes we looked really in control, our field position was good, the set piece was working well and then it was almost a carbon copy of last week as we lost momentum in the second half and were unable to regain it. The guys are bitterly disappointed, as we are as coaches.  

Falmouth Packet: Number 8 Rusiate Tuima made an early impact on his return.Number 8 Rusiate Tuima made an early impact on his return. (Image: Brian Tempest)

“Clearly, we at times get on the wrong side of the referee and this is something where we need to better understand the context of the game.

“The players are having some fantastic coaching and some really good exposure, as the Championship is still a fine competition and, at some point, they will come through."

Final Score: Caldy 15 - Cornish Pirates 14