BUCKLAND Athletic visited Kellaway Park for their latest Toolstation Western League Fixture against Helston Athletic on Saturday, December 10.

Both teams struggled to break the deadlock after what turned out to be a hard-fought draw, with both Helston and Buckland likely feeling they deserved at least a point.

After only seven minutes, Rosenquest came on for Issac Burdon with the latter having to make way after coming out on the wrong side of a 50/50.

Several minutes later, Helston had their first opportunity of the game after the Buck’s keeper spilled a cross, only to gather it up on his second attempt.

Buckland then had an opportunity to poke their noses in front with a freekick before Farkins’ side foot across goal was cleared to safety.

Helston went back on the front foot after several minutes, forcing Collings to come forward off his line and see the effort wide.

Buckland were first to break the deadlock when McCarthy picked the ball up in the middle, passed to Bridger who delivered a lovely cross-pitch pass into Webber who took his time and a touch before hitting across goal into the corner of the net.

The home side then equalised after 24 minutes after a handball leads to a Blues free kick into the box. Rikki was quickest to take advantage and his shot deflected over the top of the Collings’ outstretched, the keeper unable to stop the effort from finding the back of the net.

Milton Jnr was booked in the 26th minute and Helston were able to enjoy the better of play, however, Buckland were able to gather themselves and get back into the game with several shots on goal from corners.

Bridger was the next Buckland player to be booked just before halftime.

At the start of the second half Buckland showed their intent with Webber passing to Bush who rolled back to Bridger who tried his luck from range but went slightly wide and over.

Helston retaliated by going close themselves, hitting the crossbar in the first few minutes.

The hosts then had a goal chalked off after the lineman’s flag went up for offside.

Helston then went close again, with Wilson denied by the away keeper, who went on to make a number of saves to keep the Blues at bay.

After 61 minutes, Helston had a scare when a Bridger free kick sailed to the back post where Farkins had a free header but narrowly sent it wide.

Five minutes later, Buckland went down to ten men when Milton Jnr is given his second yellow and was sent off.

Helston seemed to have the better of the visitors for a spell towards the end of the second half with Buckland slightly under the cosh but still looking dangerous on the counterattack.

In the dying minutes of the second half, Helston found themselves missing one of the biggest chances of the game, with Storey heading wide from close range.

Buckland continued to absorb pressure until the referee finally called time on the game.