HELSTON Athletic have been crowned Cornwall Senior Cup champions for the first time since 1937 after a thrilling penalty shootout. 

The Blues opened the scoring after just six minutes when a long ball from Harrison Jewell found Riki Shepherd who slotted it passed the keeper.

After their opening goal, Helston had to endure periods of sustained pressure from Millbrook, despite the opposition rarely testing the Blue's keeper.

At the half-time whistle, Helston were still ahead and, after a fence panel disrupted play minutes into the second half, held on for another 20 minutes before Millbrook managed to work an equaliser from a free-kick. 

Responding quickly, Helston attacked their opponents only to find the side netting twice in quick succession. 

After 90 minutes, the two sides were yet to be separated and a period of extra time got underway with Helston coming agonizingly close to putting their nose in front only a couple of minutes in. 

The first half of extra timebreakthroughclose-range ended all square, with neither side managing to push themselves in front. 

The breakthrough finally came in the opening minutes of the second half of extra-time as Tom Payne scored a close range header against his former club to put the Blues in front yet again. 

However, Millbrook wasn't done yet. Just 90 seconds after conceding, the Magpies clawed their way back into the competition with a close-range header from Ed Goodman levelling the scores once again.

After 120 minutes of open play, the two teams still could not be separated, and so it went to that most dreaded of all footballing occasions, a cup final penalty shootout. 

Helston's Tom Payne was first to the spot and put the opening penalty past the Millbrook keeper.

Millbrook's Wood was next up but his effort was saved by Helston's man between the sticks. 

With Helston now on the front foot, Coop stepped up and put the Blues ahead two for nothing.

Millbrook's Thomson followed Coop and put his spot kick past the Helston keeper to keep the Magpie's dream alive.

Elliot scored Helston's next penalty, followed by Knight who kept Millbrook firmly on Helston's heels. 

Rosenquest made it four for four for Helston and Millbrook's Goulty followed giving them three from four. 

Helston's last spot kick was taken by Jamie Simmonds who maintained the Blue's 100 per cent record from the spot, giving the team their first Cornwall Senior Cup win since 1937.