A chef at a pop-up Christmas snow dome needed hospital treatment after being punched in the eye by a doorman who was supposed to be protecting the event.

Security guard Matthew Quick, from Cornwall, attacked victim Martin Hepworth when they were both working together at the temporary venue in Exeter two days before Christmas 2021.

Quick intervened in a verbal argument which Mr Hepworth was having with his girlfriend and was caught on CCTV shoving him to the ground and punching him twice in the face.

Mr Hepworth, who is now working in Exmouth, suffered an injured eye and socket and was still needing hospital treatment five months later. He also suffered less serious injuries to the rest of his face and his teeth. He posted gruesome photographs of himself on Facebook shortly afterwards.

Quick, aged 37, now of Albert Road, Saltash, admitted causing actual bodily harm and was fined £200 with £300 compensation by Judge David Evans at Exeter Crown Court.

He told him: “It has taken far too long for this case to come to court and I bear that in mind in passing sentence. You intervened to assist a woman who appeared to be in the receiving end of a domestic argument.

“You then lost your temper and it clear to me that you bitterly regret what you did. I have read Mr Hepworth’s personal statement and it is clear you caused a real injury which has had lasting effects.

“There is a deal of mitigation. You have no relevant convictions and possess a positive good character. You lost your job, things have been difficult financially and you have a partner and child who you support.”

Mr Thomas Faulkner, prosecuting, said Mr Hepworth and his girlfriend had an argument at around 8pm and left the snow dome in Princesshay and moved a short distance to the former Debenhams shop.

She sat on a ledge and was joined by Quick, who was working as a security officer at the Snow Dome. Mr Hepworth approached them and there were words exchanged between the two men.

Mr Hepworth told Quick it was nothing to do with him and to f*** off and was grabbed by Quick who pulled him to the floor and punched him twice in the face.

Mr Michael Brown, defending, said Quick lost his job as a result of the incident and has suffered financial hardship. He is currently working part time as a plumber and sending as much money as he can to his partner and child, who live in America.

He has no prior record of violence, is truly remorseful, and had admitted what he had done. This behaviour was totally out of character.