A man responsible for assaulting two police officers was now a very different person to the one involved more than two years ago, having “genuinely turned his life around”, a court was told.

Before Recorder John Trevaskis at Truro Crown Court was Connor Lawrence, from Penryn, who in February this year pleaded guilty to two assaults on emergency workers in February 2022.

The prosecution said police had been called in the early hours to a separate matter relating to Lawrence.

Officers found him walking in the middle of the road in Broad Street, Penryn.

The prosecutor said that the then-25-year-old was shouting abuse at Police Sergeant Sean Bradbury, running off towards Falmouth Road.

The officer ran after Lawrence, grabbing his arm to detain him.

“At this point the defendant attempted to headbutt the officer but missed,” said the prosecutor, who added that Lawrence then punched PS Bradbury, who put the defendant in a knee lock, while noting that Lawrence was under the influence of alcohol.

PS Bradbury had managed to press the emergency code zero on his police radio, over which the defendant could be heard shouting at the officer, along with “sounds of a struggle” as Lawrence continued to punch him approximately ten times.

Two more police officers then arrived as back up, taking Lawrence to the ground.

PS Bradbury suffered swelling to the back of his head and reddening of his cheekbone.

Lawrence was arrested and taken to Camborne Custody Centre, where he continued to be verbally abusive.

He then kicked Detention Officer Martyn Daughtery in the shin, who stumbled and fell backwards.

In a victim person impact statement, PS Bradbury said of the incident and his injuries: “It caused me to finish my work early [that night] leaving Falmouth and Helston without a duty sergeant.

“It caused me to feel shaken up and unsteady on my feet.”

Detention Officer Daughtery said: “I have been a detention officer for 20 years. I do not expect to be assaulted whilst I do my duty.”

Lawrence was described by the court probation officer as having a “relatively quiet and happy life” before it went in a less stable direction for a time.

He went into temporary accommodation and “alcohol started to become an increasing part of his life.”

On the night in question he had been “lashing out in frustration and anger” not at the officers but his more general situation.

However, the probation officer added: “It seems to me that Mr Lawrence took things seriously and has genuinely turned his life around. There are signs of significant rehabilitation.”

He said the now-27-year-old worked as a scaffolder, had two young children and a partner to support, and no longer drank alcohol.

Barrister Ryan Murray, representing Lawrence, questioned why the case had taken two years to reach court when both police officers had given statements the day after the incident and there was CCTV footage of the assault at the custody centre.

“He’s had this hanging over his head,” said Mr Murray, who added that Lawrence had taken it upon himself to turn his life around in the meantime.

“He was in a dark place; that was the and this is now. He extends his unreserved apologies to the officers involved,” said Mr Murray.

Recorder Trevaskis ordered that Lawrence pay fines totalling £400, in addition to £200 compensation to PS Bradbury and £100 to Detention Officer Daughtery. He must also pay £100 towards costs.