A protest and vigil event is to be held in Falmouth this evening after the death of a Cornish aid worker in Gaza.

Palestine Solidarity Cornwall has posted a notice over an event on Events Square tonight (Wednesday, April 3) at 6.30pm, and then on The Moor at 7pm.

It follows the death of James ‘Jim’ Henderson, a former Royal Marine turned security worker from Penryn.

The 33-year-old had been part of the security team for World Central Kitchen, a charity providing meals to Palestinians, when the marked convoy he was travelling in was hit by three missiles fired from an IDF drone.

READ MORE: Aid worker from Falmouth killed by Israeli air strike in Gaza hailed a 'hero'

Now Palestine Solidarity Cornwall, a group set up “calling on people in Cornwall to join us to stand in solidarity with the people of Palestine” has organised a vigil in Falmouth to remember Mr Henderson and all others who have died in the conflict to date.

The event notice reads: “Join us in solidary and remembrance for James Henderson of Falmouth and for all 196+ aid workers, for each of the 37,000+ people, for 14,000+ children, martyred by the State of Israel.”

Mr Henderson died alongside two other British aid workers, John Chapman, 57, and James Kirby, 47.

They were among seven of the charity’s staff killed on Monday night.

Also dying in the attack were the team’s leader, 43-year-old Lalzawmi “Zomi” Frankcom, an Australian national, along with American-Canadian dual citizen Jacob Flickinger, 33, Polish national Damian Sobol, 35, and Palestinian Saifeddin Issam Ayad Abutaha, 25.

Falmouth Packet: The three British aid workers killed by an Israeli air strike in Gaza have been hailed as ‘heroes’ The three British aid workers killed by an Israeli air strike in Gaza have been hailed as ‘heroes’ (Image: Ismael Abu Dayyah/AP)

The convoy was hit as it was leaving the Deir al-Balah warehouse, where the team had unloaded more than 100 tonnes of humanitarian food aid taken to Gaza on the maritime route, the charity said.

WCK immediately suspended operations in the region.

Lt Gen Herzi Halevi, chief of the general staff of the Israel Defence Forces, said the incident was “a mistake that followed a misidentification – at night during a war in very complex conditions,” adding that “It shouldn’t have happened.”

He has also said that an independent body would conduct a “thorough investigation” into what happened, which is to be completed in the coming days.