Possible injury caused by a dog collision and a police incident kept coastguards in Falmouth busy on Thursday.

The volunteers of Falmouth Coastguard Rescue Team were first called out just after 10.30am to Gyllyngvase Beach in the town.

The team had received a report of a person having suffered a potential back injury, after being involved in a collision with a dog.

With concerns that the tide was coming in quickly, the casualty was moved to the safety of the beach shop, to be handed over to the ambulance service.

A Falmouth Coastguard spokesperson said: “We were tasked at 10.33am to a report of a person with a possible back injury following a collision with a dog, at Gyllyngvase Beach, Falmouth.

“On scene, with concern for the oncoming tide, we quickly placed the casualty on our stretcher and moved them to the safety of the beach shop.

“The casualty was assessed, kept warm and handed over to South Western Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust Paramedics for further care.

“Many thanks to Gylly Beach Café for the hospitality!”

It wasn’t long before the team were then back out again, this time just before 2.30pm, to a police incident at the Prince of Wales Pier in Falmouth.

Although details of the incident are limited, Falmouth Lifeboat was also called.

The Falmouth Coastguard spokesperson added: “The incident was successfully resolved by Devon and Cornwall Police, and team members returned to station by 3.30pm.”

The lifeboat was also called out on both Monday and Tuesday this week.

On Monday the volunteer crew was paged at 5.30pm, to go to the aid of a 60ft yacht with five people on board, that had requested help after an engine failure in moderate seas, three nautical miles south of the treacherous Manacle rocks.

Falmouth Packet: The yacht next to rocks near the ManaclesThe yacht next to rocks near the Manacles (Image: Falmouth Lifeboat)

The Severn class lifeboat, 'Richard Cox Scott ' put to sea at 5.40pm, making best speed towards the yacht's last reported position, arriving on scene at 6.03pm.

With a southerly force four to five wind, the yacht was drifting towards the Manacles. The Coxswain quickly made the decision to establish a tow, towing the vessel into safer waters, and then on to be moored on pontoons in Port Pendennis Marina.

The all-weather lifeboat was then launched again on Tuesday, for the second time in two days, making a total of five times so far this year and 14 shouts for the station.

At just before 7pm Falmouth Coastguard paged the lifeboat volunteer crew after receiving a radio call from a 10m yacht, with four people on board, which had become dis-masted and was adrift in the Carrick Roads.

The Severn class lifeboat left its moorings at 7.10pm in heavy rain and a southerly force five / six wind. However, before arriving on scene the nearby dredger Artevelde, which was at anchor, and which had been monitoring the situation, had fired a rescue line towards the yacht as it drifted nearby.

Falmouth Packet: The yacht next to dredger ArteveldeThe yacht next to dredger Artevelde (Image: Falmouth Lifeboat)

The line was intercepted by the crew of the yacht, hauled in and secured to the stern of the dredger, making the most of the shelter offered.

The lifeboat arrived ten minutes after launching and two crew members were transferred to the yacht to help the crew in clearing the mast and rigging.

Once all rigging was cleared and securely stowed, the lifeboat towed the yacht onto a mooring within the harbour, before being released by the Coastguard.