It’s been quite the busy week for Falmouth Coastguard with five callouts in five days - including the rescue of a person who fell down a hole after the Cornish coastal path collapsed beneath him. 

The first call out for the coastguard came on Wednesday, June 26 at 2.18pm. Crews were called to a person who had collapsed on Arthurs Beach in Falmouth. Upon arrival, the person was found safe and well and turned down any further care.

Three days later, Falmouth Coastguard along with Falmouth Lifeboat and Devon and Cornwall Police was called at 2.21am on June 29 to Falmouth Harbour to a person in the water.

However, after a search of the area, the person was believed to have left the area on foot.

More than 14 hours later, the coastguard was tasked with another report of a person in the water alongside Portscatho Coastguard Rescue Team, Falmouth ILB, police officers, full-time coastguard, senior coastal operations officer and coastguard rescue helicopter. The outcome of this incident has yet to be confirmed.

On Sunday, June 30 crews responded to a person and a dog in difficulty on Admirals Quay in Falmouth. However, nothing was found on the scene following the search.

A day later (July 1) Falmouth Coastguard was called out once again to a member of the public stuck on a cliff between Maenporth and Swanpool, Falmouth. Porthleven Coastguard team, Mullion Coastguard team, full-time Coastguard senior coastal operations officer S11B and Coastguard helicopter R187 were all tasked to assist.

The team helo rescue a person stuck 15 feet down a hole near Falmouth The team helo rescue a person stuck 15 feet down a hole near Falmouth (Image: Falmouth Coastguard)

A search was conducted straight away to locate the casualty. Once located the Falmouth Coastguard brought its rescue equipment to the scene, some 300 meters over extremely tricky ground.

Despite the confined space and dense undergrowth, the team swiftly set up their rope rescue equipment. A specialist technician expertly navigated the treacherous terrain, secured the casualty in a rescue sling, and both were successfully brought back to the cliff top by the team.

Despite falling 15 feet down the hole, the casualty suffered some bumps and scrapes and was uninjured aside from that. He had been walking down ‘Fisherman's Path’ when the path collapsed beneath him.

He was able to call the Coastguard for help via his mobile, and despite poor signal in the area, he was able to dial 999 and speak to MRCC Falmouth.