A commemorative stone marking Falmouth’s early motor racing history has been given a new lease of life thanks to a local craftsman.
The Pendennis Motorcycle and Light Car Club stone on Castle Drive had begun to show signs of wear, with its lettering fading over time.
But sign writer Graham Phillips, of Budock Water, stepped in to restore it free of charge after noticing its condition.
Mr Phillips, who recently retired from Falmouth Docks after 50 years of service, has carefully restored the inscription, ensuring the historic marker remains clear and legible for visitors.
The granite stone commemorates the motorcycle races held around Castle Drive between 1931 and 1937. These events are recognised as the first motorcycle races to take place on public roads on the British mainland.
The idea for the stone was originally put forward by former Pendennis Motorcycle and Light Car Club member David Saunby, who believed the races deserved formal recognition as part of Falmouth’s heritage. A grant of £600 was secured from Falmouth Town Council to support the project.
Graham Phillips with Cllr David Saunby at the restored commemorative stone (Image: Paul Armstrong)
Materials and craftsmanship were also provided locally, with the granite stone donated by Winns Quarry in Longdowns and shaped by stonemasons Rogers and Son.
Read more
Helston McDonald’s opens tomorrow - here’s what you need to know
Anger over proposed loss of vital car park spaces for care home
Motorcyclist seriously injured in three-vehicle crash in Cornwall
The memorial was officially unveiled in 2002 by Selbourn Rancher Stevens, the only surviving founder member of the Pendennis Club at the time.
Mr Phillips’ recent restoration work ensures that this piece of Falmouth’s motoring history continues to be preserved for future generations.
Share