Penryn 38 Bude 3

Penryn RFC welcomed Bude to the Memorial Ground, looking to get back to winning ways after last week’s defeat at Bideford, writes Jonathan Plummer.

Penryn started brightly and were soon on the attack but stubborn Bude defence kept them out until James Salisbury spotted a gap and raced through to score by the posts after 15 minutes,Salisbury himself added the extras.

Bude got on the scoresheet next kicking a penalty by Harry Dymond after a Penryn infringement. Penryn were soon back on the attack and with the forwards making powerful runs to put Bude on the back foot the ball was spread wide and it was Salisbury again who dotted down, the conversion was again successful and Penryn lead 14-3 at the break.

The second half started with Penryn again on the front foot and after several phases of play it was fly half Sean Johnson with an excellent kick and chase to score in the corner. A frustrated Bude started to lose their discipline and after several infringements received a yellow card.

Penryn looked to take immediate advantage and after a break down the right wing Matt Hall kicked ahead and was tackled late by Bude player, clearly denying a try scoring chance the ref was left with little option but to show another yellow card.

With Bude down to 13 men it was only a matter of time until Penryn scored and it was no.8 Andrew Seviour who crashed over for the bonus point sore.

Penryn we’re soon on the attack again and after a loose Bude kick it was replacement Mike Fittock with an excellent run down the left and a try looked certain until a dangerous high tackle stopped him in his tracks. The referee was left with little choice but to award a Penalty try and show a red card to the Bude player.

Credit to Bude they kept going through out and after a spell of possession Penryn lock Matt Carlyon was sent to the bin for a high tackle, Carlyon’s only blemish in an otherwise excellent match.

Bude went on the attack and looking for space out wide threw a long pass which Penryn full back Kyle Johns managed to intercept on the Penryn 22 and then had the pace to outstrip the defence in an 80 metre sprint to the tryline for Penryn’s final try, Salisbury converted from in front the sticks, to finish the scoring.

Penryn thanks go to the referee from Devon society.

Next Saturday Penryn host near neighbours Falmouth, in which is always competitive match, kick off is 2pm at the Memorial Ground.

Penryn/Perranporth 42 St Ives 46

Penryn Reserves combined with Perranporth for their first match of the season against St Ives.

In an end-to-end encounter, it was St Ives who held on for victory in this try fest, a match enjoyed by every player.

Mentions go to Ayden Earnshaw with several tries and Jack Dunstan with some excellent conversions, veteran prop Marc Dennis on making his Penryn debut, and Penryn skipper Aaron Cockrell who played 60 minutes and then called into the First team squad.

Penryn’s gives its thanks to St Ives who traveled even though a little short.

Penryn/Perranporth's next match is in two weeks against Truro, so if interested in playing get in touch.