THE battle of the Rec between Falmouth Eagles 2XV and Launceston Castles II was an intense encounter, writes Gupta Singh. 

Falmouth, with a determined young side, took the field with a sense of purpose and wore black armbands in honour of remembrance day.

Launceston, sitting just below the top three teams had recently displayed their prowess by winning convincingly against Saltash 99 - 7 and Roseland 14 - 49. 

The game began with Falmouth dominating territory, thanks to intelligent kicking from Tug Wilson. However, they struggled to convert their territorial advantage into points as the impenetrable defense of Launceston Castles held strong.

The battle between the forwards was fierce, with both teams delivering hard hits around the rucks. Eventually, it was Launceston who made the first move and scored two converted try's out wide through their wingers. 0 - 14

Falmouth's forwards fought back, tirelessly working their way through no-man's land and providing good ball for their scrum-half, Alex Lowndes who continues to grow in the black and white hoops distributing well. This resulted in a try by lock Hector Keuzler-Byrt which Scotty Dunstan converted from the far right corner at the bowling green end. 7 - 14.

The game of chess continued with Castles again finding joy out wide, scoring two further tries which they failed to convert. 7 -24.

The engines of Tuffery, Church, and Martin continued to roll onwards un-phased by the opposition's agile backs, winning crucial scrums and turnovers in the loose, which gave Falmouth a powerful base. Harry Martin eventually smashed his way through for a well-deserved try from close range. Scotty converted and the score halved 12 -24.

The Eagles came close again following a fantastic fifty-yard break by Tug Wilson from his own twenty-two but Falmouth were unable to capitalise and Launceston went in ahead at the break.

After halftime, Launceston extended their lead with an unconverted try and the two teams went at the break with the score sat at 12 - 29. 

The heavy artillery of Trick and Horton had now entered the fray, injecting immediate impact into Falmouth's backline attacks with Horton feeding the bishop 'Trick' on well-timed angled runs.

The Eagles now intensified by this frontline battle, started to mix their play with short and long passes to gain crucial ground, with Max Amos at fullback and Bryn Owen on the wing churning up the grass to gain the Eagles valuable field positions. Greg Pooley eventually darted in from twenty metres for a try at the centre. Horton failed to convert. 19 -29

Launceston quickly responded with two converted tries, extending their lead to 19-43. However, Falmouth was not ready to concede defeat. They continued their relentless assault, with George Taylor making huge hits and Cam Hopkins scoring to secure a try bonus point.

Excitement filled the Recreation Ground for the last ten minutes as Falmouth's supporters wondered if their team could stage an incredible comeback. A Horton try in the corner brought them closer, but the failed conversion also kicked by Horton bounced off the metal upright, leaving them at 29-43.

Launceston continued to mount attacks, taking advantage of Falmouth's now reduced numbers due to a deliberate knock-on that forced Phil Morgan off to the dugout.

Moments later Launceston were awarded a penalty just outside the twenty-two and chose to run down the clock before slotting the penalty. Showing some respect to the intensity of this game.

Man of the match was given to Hector Keuzler-Byrt for his war horse effort around the park.

Final score: 29-46

Next week, Falmouth Eagles 2XV prepare for another physical encounter as they face Camborne II away, who are currently in second place.