Sunday saw Falmouth Golf Club take on Perranporth Golf Club in the semi-final of the President's Trophy at a stunning Trevose Golf Club, writes Phil Jones.

This match was abandoned a couple of weeks ago due to torrential rain, which flooded the greens making the course unplayable.

Falmouth captain Pete Lewis had one change enforced upon him due to the unavailability of category 2 player Grant Nicholls. Chris Harris was brought into the category 1 position allowing Nick Hodges to move up into his normal category 2 position.

As always in this competition format, the category 3 players get us underway, with Martin McGee leading out Falmouth followed by Roger Fairburn and George Whitbread.

The weather was far cry from two weeks ago, with the course in perfect condition for the day’s golf.

McGee made a great start going 3 up in the first five holes, this was followed by Fairburn 1 up after four and Whitbread 1 up after five holes.

Category 2 was led off with Andy Morris, followed by Dave Holland and Nick Hodges. Morris was involved in a tight game, with their match all square through the first eight holes. Dave Holland’s match on the other hand was all one-way traffic, and with some sublime golf on show was 7 up through nine holes.

Our last category 2 player Hodges was also involved in a battle, with his match all square through nine holes.

With our first six players on the course, it was time for our category 1 players to tee off. James Dempsey was first out, followed by Conor Bowman and last, but by no means least, Chris Harris.

Dempsey made a solid start and at the halfway point was 2 up followed by Bowman who after a brilliant front 9 was 5 up, with Harris’s match all square after nine. Falmouth were looking in charge early on.

The first point not surprisingly came from Holland who had been in top form throughout the tournament with a dominating 11 and 7 victory. This was followed by McGee who never looked in trouble all round, winning his match 5 and 4, giving Falmouth a 2-0 lead.

Bowman then added to Falmouth’s tally winning his match 7 and 6, to send Falmouth 3-0 up needing only two more points for the win and a place in the final.

Golf is all about fine margins and with the other two category 3 matches going down the 18th 1 down and level respectively, Falmouth really needed a half point from one of these.

Unfortunately, both Fairburn and Whitbread, after battling well all round, lost their matches on 18 making the score 3-2. This was followed by Morris who after going 1 down on 17 needed to win the 18th to half his match, but again Falmouth fell just short, and the match was levelled at 3-3.

With Dempsey finally managing to get the job done on 18 after a great comeback from his opponent, but Hodges losing his match 4 and 2, the match was levelled at 4-4 and it all came down to the last match out on the course.

Harris, having at one stage been 2 down, managed to get his match back to level going up the 18th. All looked lost for Falmouth when Harris put his second shot on 18 into the front left bunker, but after his opponent 3 putted the match was all square and as per the rules both teams had to send their nominated players down the first.

Unfortunately for Falmouth they had to give a shot to their opponents, which was made all the tougher with the first playing much shorter than normal as a temporary green was in play.

This proved too much for Falmouth, and Perranporth won the hole and the match.

Perranporth will now go on to face either Truro Golf Club or Newquay Golf Club in the final.