A pet dog was rescued by firefighters in Helston yesterday after a fire broke out in the kitchen of a flat.

Crews from Helston, Mullion and Falmouth were all scrambled just before 2.45pm after an emergency call was received to say a smoke alarm was going off and there was the smell of burning.

Firefighters found a first floor flat smoke logged and had to use breathing equipment while searching the flat for any casualties.

Although no one was found, the family's pet dog was rescued.

The crews then put out the fire with a hosereel and checked the flat with a heat seeking camera.