PENRYN crossed the Tamar to take on Kinsbridge on the south Devon coast looking for a first away win of the season, with 3 wins from 3 at the Memorial ground, the Borough were hoping to transfer that form away from home.

On a dry and mild day conditions were good but the sloping Kingsbridge pitch always makes for an interesting challenge, in this end-to-end encounter.

The opening half an hour remained a pointless contest but both sides had good chances to open the scoring most notably for Penryn when returning centre James Salisbury made a break and fed George Mitchell, unfortunately for Penryn an excellent try-saving tackle brought Mitchell down just a metre short.

Kingsbrdge managed to clear their lines but Penryn continued to pressure and were soon awarded a penalty and fly-half Rob Banks, who had an excellent day off the tee opened the scoring after 32 minutes.

Kingsbridge hit straight back with powerful drives from their forwards, they scored a converted try. Kingsbridge were now on the front foot, with Penryn struggling to handle the Kingsbridge no.8, scored another try in quick succession, this time unconverted.

If Penryn were to remain in the contest a score before halftime was imperative, Penryn regained the ball from the kick off and, after several drives from the forwards, the ball was fed out to James Salisbury who managed to drive over the line for Penryn’s opening try, Banks had no problem converting, to make it 12- 10 at half time.

Unfortunately for Penryn, full back Nathan Strick was forced off at halftime with an injury, managed to get the crucial first try of the half but Penryn hit back with another penalty by Banks. Kingsbridge hit straight back though and some poor tackling by Penryn allowed the hosts in for another seven-pointer. 

Not to be outdone, Penryn weren’t beaten yet and after several minutes of pressure, the ball found his way out to George Mitchell and this time he was not going to be stopped and scored near the posts for an easy conversion.

With 20 minutes to go and just 4 points in it the game was back in the balance, unfortunately for Penryn, it was Kingsbridge who got the next score with a pushover try.

Penryn stayed in the match and another Banks penalty kept them in with a chance.

Kingsbridge had the final say though with a try in the corner to seal the win.

Penryn will feel disappointed not to get anything from the match with some good chances not being taken and some defensive lapses costing them. Devon ref Jon Murray had an excellent match, with a low penalty count and no cards issued.

It wasn’t all bad news on the day for Penryn, with the reserve team combined with Perranporth getting their first win of the season against Truro winning 29-10 and Penryn Colts continuing their winning run with a 17-0 away win at St.Ives