PENRYN got back to winning ways in this end-to-end encounter with Devon rivals Paignton, matches between the two sides are always closely fought, the previous encounter back in March ending in a 43-all draw.

It was a sunny though breezy day on Saturday with Penryn kicking off towards the Mabe end. The opening five minutes were an even contest and it was winger Kai Sale with an excellent kick that gave Penryn possession in the Paignton 22. From the line out the forwards caught and drove, the ball was then spread out to the backline and James Salisbury broke the tackle and was able to beat the covering defence to dive in for his sixth try of the season, Rob Banks kicked the conversion.

Paignton were next to get on the scoresheet, with quick hands by their backline they scored a controversial try in the left-hand corner despite the Paignton winger appearing to put a foot out of play, the conversion from the touchline was kicked to level the scores.

Penryn were soon back in the Paignton half and following a line out drive the forwards made some powerful carries towards the try-line and second rower Matt Carlyon crashed over from short range, Rob Banks adding the conversion. The Penryn lead was short-lived though and following a scrum on halfway, Paignton broke down the left and scored a try in the left-hand corner, another excellent conversion from out wide levelled the scores again.

In the next fifteen minutes, both sides had chances to score but it was Paignton who took theirs with a converted try with some good hands from their backline, to take the lead for the first time. Penryn looked to bounce back before half time but some good Paignton defence held them out to give Paignton a 21 -14 halftime lead.

Paignton kicked off the second half and they were next to score to extend their lead with a bonus point try, this time the conversion was missed. If Penryn were to protect their unbeaten home record it was crucial they got the next score.

Penryn managed to get some possession and Paignton started to concede penalties, after another Paignton infringement Penryn kicked to the corner, from 10 metres out Penryn got their rolling maul going and were not to be stopped with replacement Chris Hellier diving over for a great forwards try, this time the conversion missed but Penryn had the momentum going into the last quarter.

With fifteen minutes remaining the Borough got their bonus point try, with some good handling, Kai Sale found some space down the left wing and he had the pace to beat the covering defence to touchdown again the conversion was missed but the Paignton lead was cut to just two points.

Penryn were now on the front foot but the resolute Paignton defence held them out with several Penryn drives just falling short of the line. Penryn were not to be denied though and in the 84th minute after several phases of play George Mitchell broke the defensive line and managed to dive in despite some last-ditch tackles, James Salisbury kicked the conversion to give Penryn a five-point lead.

There was still time remaining but Penryn managed to control possession for the remaining three minutes and Kyle Johns kicked the ball out when time was up to seal victory for Penryn.

Next Saturday Penryn travel to Cornish rivals St.Ives, their first meeting in the league for nine years. While Paignton hosts Falmouth.

Penryn 31 - 26 Paignton