THERE was late drama at the Memorial Ground on Saturday as Penryn twice came from more than two scores behind to inflict a first defeat of the season on early pace setters Teignmouth.

It nearly had a completely different outcome as visiting fly-half Joe Simmonds, who entered the game without missing a single kick all season, had the chance to win the game with a penalty just to the left of the posts.

However, what looked like a routine three pointer with the last kick of the game somehow sailed wide, meaning Borough recorded a memorable victory.

The visitors arrived in good form and sitting pretty at the top of Western Counties West, with three victories and a maximum 15 points from their games.

Penryn were looking to respond to last weekend's difficult defeat away at Tiverton and their spirited comeback ensured they kept their 100 per cent record on home turf intact.

The first 20 minutes were not in the script for the home side though.

After conceding three points from an early penalty chance, Penryn pressed the Teignmouth line to open their account on the day and take the lead, only for a stray pass to be plucked out of the air by Chris Sherlock who then raced 95m for a breakaway try.

The despairing Penryn cover defence made sure the conversion was a tricky one, which was subsequently missed.

Borough chipped away at the score with a penalty as they heaped the pressure on the Teigns' line.

This pressure was eventually rewarded when Grant Randlesome, in a rich vein of try scoring form, touched down for his fourth try in as many games, with Horton's extras gave Penryn a 10-8 lead.

Despite being on the front foot, ill-discipline kept the visitors in the game and they kept the scoreboard ticking over with a brace of penalties to lead 14-10 at the break.

Penryn were still very much in the game and needed to stay patient if they were to go on and win it, but there patience was to be immediately tested.

Against the run of play, a Teignmouth break initially looked harmless but was not properly put to ground and the tussle got closer and closer to the Penryn line before outside centre Will Sowden crashed over for what seemed a killer score.

Simmonds' tough conversion attempt hit the upright, something which would prove crucial come full time.

Borough plugged away at the visitor's line to try and reduce the deficit, having to make do with a Horton penalty goal, which would soon be cancelled out by three points from Simmonds.

Then came the move of the match.

After the forwards had attempted to plough through the middle, the space opened up out wide for the backs and a neat pass from replacement Jake Seviour found Josh Chambers who scooted up the touchline to finish well.

A successful conversion from Horton set up a grandstand finish with seven minutes to go.

Roared on by the healthy crowd, Borough pack forced a kickable penalty attempt for Horton to take the lead with only three minutes remaining, with the full-back showing nerves of steel to nail the kick, delighting the home faithful.

There was still time for Teignmouth to launch one final attack after Penryn failed to secure the restart.

The defence held up well, but the referee had spotted a home defender creeping offside and gave the Teigns a chance to win the match with the last kick of the game in a fairly central location.

However, much to everyone's amazement, Simmonds pulled his kick wide to spark scenes of celebration among the home ranks.

It was a get out of jail card for Penryn, who just about deserved the narrow win and will travel to Torquay on Saturday in fifth place.

PENRYN: 15 Horton, 14 Chambers, 13 Jordan, 12 Evans, 11 Creedon, 10 Hinchley, 9 Strick; 1 Pattison, 2 Birkett, 3 Tedstone, 4 Hancock, 5 Ashwin, 6 Instance, 7 Jones (c), 8 Randlesome.

REPS: Seviour, Cockerell, Hoban.

TRIES: Randlesome, Chambers.

CONS: Horton 2/2.

PENS: Horton 3.