Helston Ath 0, Saltash 2

HELSTON drew a blank at a windswept Kellaway Park as Matt Buchan was sent off in the second half of this SWPL Premier encounter on Saturday, writes Matt Dixon.

Playing into the elements in the first half, keeper Barrie Wyatt made several fine saves to keep the scoreline blank at the interval.

However, Saltash caught the hosts cold at the start of the second period and their day deteriorated when Buchan was dismissed for elbowing an opponent.

Callum Martindale flashed a shot just wide of Wyatt’s left hand post early on before Richard Maddison, who appeared to control the ball with his hand, found himself in the clear, but shot straight at the Helston stopper.

Ryan Richards then forced Wyatt into a diving save at his near post before a Hugh Howlett clearance header fell to Richards, whose first time volley was repelled by Wyatt once again.

Helston rarely threatened but after a good passing sequence, Jamie Thomson’s lovely diagonal pass reached Phil Cattran, who rounded keeper Ryan Rickard but could not convert the ball before a covering defender intervened.

Toby Clark then contrived to volley over from three yards following a corner as Helston’s goal led a charmed life.

There was still time before the break for Wyatt to make another save from Richards, this time with his legs as the Saltash marksman shot from a tight angle.

Richard Maddison put the visitors in front two minutes after the break with a fine finish from just inside the penalty area, having been teed up by Sam Leary.

Buchan then shot too close to Rickard after being found by the impressive Tyler Oliver, before Steve Jenkin made a good overlap but was unable to pick out anyone with his byline cross after good work by Dan Stidwell.

Buchan was then shown a red card when he protected the ball too aggressively, catching a Saltash defender in the face with his elbow.

Phil Cattran’s tremendous 30 yard effort almost produced an equaliser, but it bounced off the inside of Rickard’s left hand post, across the face of the goal and harmlessly out for a goal kick.

Saltash doubled their advantage after 76 minutes when Jenkin’s errant throw-in was knocked forward to Richards, who raced clear and steadied himself before curling his shot into the bottom left hand corner of Wyatt’s goal.

Helston: B Wyatt, K Davies, J Shainberg, J Thomson (J Thirkle 62m), H Howlett, S Jenkin, K Marks, T Oliver (C Young 73m), P Cattran, D Stidwell (G Mills 84m), M Buchan.

Packet Pick – Tyler Oliver: Combative display and produced some telling passes. Surprisingly substituted.