Porthleven 3, Sticker 4 (aet)

THIS was splendid fare at Gala Parc, with the game swinging this way and that before the visitors finally edged into the third round of the Cornwall Senior Cup, writes Matt Dixon.

Port took an early lead which they held for 15 minutes, after which they were never able to get their noses in front of their higher league opponents.

Defender Chris Wormington, who had done a fine job to stifle danger man Jack Bowyer for much of the match, was sent off in extra time after being adjudged to have handled the ball and denying the Sticker striker a goal-scoring opportunity.

Dan Hindmarch, full of running and intent, opened the scoring after eight minutes when he volleyed home Rob Carey’s cross from eight yards.

James Wignall had to be alert to tip away a snap shot from Bowyer at the other end, before Andrew Butler headed just wide after a cross from the left as Sticker searched for an equaliser.

It arrived midway through the half when a deep cross was met by the head of Matt Lloyd, whose goalbound effort was turned in by Bowyer, who appeared to be standing in an offside position.

Heydon Dark’s long range effort sizzled just wide for Port then good work by Jared Sims set up Carey, whose standing foot toed the ball just as he was drawing back his striking boot to shoot.

Hindmarch was then booked for a badly-timed lunge on Jack Walker and for the second time in a week, he was substituted at half time, presumably to avoid a red card to which he is too often accustomed.

Dark was also withdrawn as Carey made a positive double substitution, bringing on strikers Matt Drummond and new signing Ollie Kennedy.

The game ebbed and flowed in the second half as it had in the first, but Sticker started to assume control as the game wore on.

The impressive Martyn Duff found Jason Rogers on the right and his cross found Joel Cockings, whose shot was deflected just wide.

Kennedy’s good work was then wasted with a wild shot at the other end, before Sticker looked to have won it in normal time when Wignall was unable to keep out Lloyd’s glancing header from a corner with three minutes to go.

Port poured forward looking for an equaliser and in stoppage time Dan Carne shot from after a goalmouth scramble.

Player-manager Andy Avery then produced a magnificent save to deny Drummond a dramatic winner when he palmed away his downward header from just inside the left hand post.

It was save that was to prove crucial to his team’s progress.

Eight minutes into the first period of extra time Frank McAvoy’s curling corner flew straight over Wignall’s head and into the top corner, before Wormington was given his marching orders at the end of the half.

Cockings kept his cool to round Wignall and slot home Sticker’s fourth, but within 30 seconds it was 4-3 when Jared Sims headed home brother Josh’s free kick to set up a frenetic finish.

Porthleven: J Wignall, C Wormington, P Maclean (S Haskell-Mills 87m), M Thackery, Josh Sims, L Hunter, H Dark (O Kennedy H/T), Jared Sims, D Carne, D Hindmarch (M Drummond H/T), R Carey.

Packet Pick: Pete Maclean - Neat and tidy game at left back, rarely put a foot wrong before being a sacrificial substitute