Penryn 74, Torrington 0

Penryn bounced back from last week’s first defeat of the season against Saltash in perfect fashion, with a 12 try rout of bottom club Torrington.

The Borough secured a bonus point within the first quarter, playing some beautifully fluent attacking rugby as well as recording another defensive shut out.

Penryn will go into the New Year with only one league defeat to their name this season and well within sight at the top of the table.

The response to last week’s defeat was immediate and Torrington were those to feel the backlash. The home pack produced an almighty shove on the visitors line and could have had an early penalty try, but settled for James Salisbury opening the scoring out wide. Mitchell Vague couldn’t convert, but he would have plenty of practise as the afternoon wore on.

Despite the conditions being heavy under foot, Penryn were playing with pace and power, using the width of the home pitch to cause the visitors no end of problems. Within a blink of an eye the Borough added a further two scores. They both went to wing Josh Chambers, who first finished smartly in the corner, before doing exceptionally well to charge down a kick and gather to complete a quick-fire brace straight from the restart. Vague converted the second score and Penryn led 17-0.

An already difficult task was made that much tougher for Torrington moments later, as they lost a man to a red card for dissent, following an initial yellow card for a professional foul. It was the forwards turn to have some fun next. Young tight head Kyle Gratrix displayed some impressive footwork and pace to get Penryn’s bonus point try, which Vague converted. Lock Ross Hancock dotted down next, after the Borough again exploited the space on the blindside, before a converted Ben Birkett try from a driving maul put Penryn 36-0 ahead.

Vague finished the half by adding a score of his own out wide.

It appeared as if a huge score was on the cards, but the rate of Penryn scoring slowed at the beginning of the second period. Credit must go to Torrington, who fought to the end with a man down.

The visitors continued to carry hard at the Penryn defence when they got the little ball they saw, but it was to no avail. When Penryn finally did get back on the scoresheet, the tries did come thick and fast once again. Kyle Bradley scored the first try of the half, cutting a superb line at pace to race under the posts for Vague to convert.

Penryn had their sights set on a big score now and they started to rack up a nasty looking total against the visitors. AJ Stanfield was next to cross from short range, shortly followed by Ben Trevaskis as the forwards muscled up. Two Vague conversions made it 62-0, but Penryn weren’t done yet. Salisbury added his second as Penryn found the width again, but the Borough saved the best for last when hooker Birkett completed his brace to round off a flowing move. Vague converted and the total stood at 74.

Penryn end the calendar year in good shape near the top of the table, but face a crucial fixture away at Wellington in the first game of 2018.

Before that though, is the important business of the Boxing Day derby against Falmouth which is at the Memorial Ground this year.

Penryn: Bradley, Chambers, Hitchens, Johnson, Salisbury, Vague, Oliver, Degenhardt, Birkett, Gratrix, Hancock, Trevaskis, Hughes, Followell, Randlesome reps: Patterson, Stanfield, Strick

Tries: Salisbury (2), Chambers (2), Gratrix, Hancock, Birkett (2), Vague, Bradley, Stanfield, Trevaskis

Conversions: Vague (7)