Bude 0, Penryn 6

Penryn closed the gap on the top two in Cornwall/Devon League, inflicting a rare home defeat on Bude, to nil them for a second time this season.

In atrocious conditions, the Borough made the most of cancellations in other games to record a vital win in the context of their season.

Free flowing rugby was at a premium, but it was a victory built on the foundations of another impressive defensive display from Penryn.

With the possibility of another weekend without rugby, Penryn arrived at Bude to a playable pitch, though the weather soon turned again.

Both teams were keen to get the game played and it was given the green light. What was clear though, was the need to keep things simple and Penryn adapted to the conditions to put in a near perfect performance on the road.

As expected, Bude started at 100 miles an hour, using their forwards to carry hard around the fringes and putting Penryn under severe pressure.

With the wind at their backs, the home team dominated possession and territory in the first quarter of the game. Possession and territory count for very little however, if the scoreboard isn’t troubled and Penryn’s aggressive and committed defence ensured the contest remained scoreless. It was a huge momentum shift even as early as the twentieth minute, as the Borough took a huge psychological boost and didn’t look back from there.

When there was rugby to be played, Penryn did so smartly, working their way up field from a series of penalties.

It was a spiky affair too and it all spilled over at one stage, with a brief fracas that saw Penryn skipper Grant Randlesome head to the bin along with a Bude player.

With the pitch deteriorating the Borough’s pragmatic approach gave them some joy and they deservedly took the lead through Tomas Townsend, who slotted a tough penalty goal. Penryn took the slender 3-0 lead into the break.

The second half belonged almost exclusively to Penryn, as they dominated with the wind at their backs. Townsend missed a routine effort to double the Penryn lead, but with Bude unable to escape their half, the pressure mounted. The Borough looked a sure bet to get the game’s first try, but the final pass wouldn’t stick and Bude hung on. Penryn would have to make do with a second penalty goal from Townsend to make it 6-0.

Having being nilled at Penryn earlier in the season, Bude must have wondered what they had to do to even register a point, let alone salvage an unlikely win.

They did have a final chance though, as Penryn conceded a penalty whilst continuing to press for a score that would put the game to bed.

The home pack set up a driving maul and made their way into Penryn territory, but again were halted by a resolute Borough defence. In the closing stages Penryn looked the more likely of the two sides to get the final score and despite a move breaking down, they were more than happy to hear the final whistle which secured a hard earned and crucial win. Penryn return home this week to take on Hayle.

Penryn: Bradley, Wilmott, Hitchens, Seviour, Chambers, Strick, Townsend, Degenhardt, Birkett, Gratrix, Hancock, Trevaskis, Hughes, Jones, Randlesome. Reps: Cockerell, Hellier, Saberton.

Penalties: Townsend (2)

Yellow Card: Randlesome