St Austell 3, Falmouth Town 0

FALMOUTH TOWN’s first game in over a month ended in defeat as they crashed out of the Cornwall Senior Cup quarter-finals last night, writes Matt Friday at Poltair Park.

The score line flattered the hosts a little bit, but goals from Mark Goldsworthy, Martin Giles and Will Tinsley made Town pay for what was a lacklustre performance in front of goal.

Falmouth began well and had the ball in the net after four minutes when Luke Brabyn rifled home from close range, only to be correctly ruled offside.

The two sides appeared to be cancelling each other out until Liam Dingle crossed for Goldsworthy who powered his header past Ryan Barnes in the 26th minute.

St Austell almost doubled their lead immediately when Liam Dingle broke through, but he dithered in getting a shot away and Josh Richards was able to clear.

The visitors then began a period of dominance, with Marcello Jones spurning a good chance with an air-shot before Jordan Annear fired straight at Jason Chapman from eight yards.

The hosts replied with an excellent strike from Martin Watts which forced an equally good stop from Barnes, before Joe Cooper had to brilliantly deny Goldsworthy with a last-ditch block.

But the crucial second goal came in the 63rd minute after Dingle’s effort was well saved by Barnes, with Giles in the right place at the right time to head home the rebound.

Falmouth had little option but to attack, with Jones, Richards and Ryan Martt all getting shots away, but Jack Calver teed up substitute Tinsley to wrap up the victory in the 90th minute.

It looked like there was going to be a fourth when James Ward brought Tinsley down in the box deep in added time, but Chris Reski’s penalty was saved by Barnes.

Falmouth: R Barnes, J Richards, T Annear (D Blizzard 67), J Ward, J Cooper (c), J Webber (R Martt 70), L Brabyn, D Broglino (O Moody 78), M Jones, J Annear, O Walker.

Packet Pick: Ryan Barnes – capped his 100th Falmouth appearance with two top-drawer stops and saved a penalty.

Falmouth travel to league leaders Plymouth Parkway on Saturday.