Falmouth Town Reserves 3, Penryn Athletic 3 (Falmouth win 3-2 on penalties)

HARRY McMELLON saved three penalties in a dramatic shoot-out as Falmouth Town Reserves beat local rivals Penryn Athletic in a pulsating Combination League Cup tie, writes Matt Friday from Bickland Park.

Rob Wearne and Kyle Cooke had cancelled out Ryan Reeve’s goal to put Town 2-1 up, but Reeve scored his 20th goal of the season in the 90th minute to force extra-time.

Liam Jarvis’s strike gave Penryn an extra-time lead but Ben Kellow’s equaliser took the game to penalties, before McMellon turned hero to send his side through to the semi-finals.

Falmouth opened the scoring in the 12th minute after a poor clearance allowed Rob Wearne to lob the ball over Penryn goalkeeper Kyle Winnan and into the net from 20 yards.

The visitors restored parity within 10 minutes via top scorer Ryan Reeve, who broke free down the left towards the byline, before cutting back inside and firing past McMellon.

The scores were level for just four minutes when Kyle Cooke was bundled over by Russell May in the box, before he picked himself up to send the penalty into the top corner.

In a second half of few clear-cut chances, the best fell to Jackson Saunders, who capitalised on a defensive error but was denied by the legs of McMellon.

The score stayed the same until a dramatic 90th minute in which Rob Wearne headed wide at one end, before David Thompson played in Ryan Reeve to slot in at the other and send the game to extra time.

Things took an unsavoury turn in injury-time when an altercation between Falmouth assistant Jack Roberts and Penryn’s Liam Jarvis sparked a touchline fracas involving both dugouts.

Barely 30 seconds had passed after play had resumed when Finn Thompson saw red for a two-footed lunge on Saunders, provoking a second melee in as many minutes.

The opening throes of extra-time were a more measured affair, but Penryn got their noses in front for the first time when Jarvis steered in from close range as the clock ticked into the 100th minute.

It looked as if Penryn would be the ones to advance until eight minutes from time when Ben Kellow fired an excellent shot in off the crossbar to take it to a shoot-out.

Penryn led after two penalties apiece, but McMellon saved from May, Jarvis and Will Harding to secure a 3-2 shootout win and book their place in the semi-finals.

Falmouth: H McMellon, F Thompson, J Pollard, B Richardson, A Barnicoat, R Chinn (c), L Chinn, D Richardson, K Cooke, F Harris, R Wearne. Subs (used): B Kellow, S Pickup, B Kemp, J Mac. Subs (unused): P Hart.

Penryn: K Winnan, S Yendle, Ru May (c), E Jorey, C Saunders, D Thompson, L Jarvis, W Harding, Re May, J Roberts, R Reeve. Subs (used): J Saunders. Subs (unused): D Jarvis, J Manley.

Both sides return to Combination League action on Saturday. Falmouth travel to Hayle while Penryn visit St Just.