Tavistock 2, Falmouth Town 4

JORDAN Annear scored a hat-trick as Falmouth Town took down Tavistock to lift the Walter C Parson Cup at Wadebridge’s Bodieve Park on Saturday.

Josh Grant gave the Lambs a half-time lead before goals from Annear and Luke Brabyn turned the match on its head.

Dan Sullivan levelled for Tavistock to take the game to extra-time, but two further goals from Annear secured the silverware for Town.

The win was the happily ever after ending to this fairy-tale season for Town, who got revenge in style after their much-publicised 7-0 defeat to Tavistock on the opening day of the season exactly nine months earlier.

Falmouth Packet:

The victorious coaching team of Charlie Davis, Andrew Westgarth and James Miller

Both sides started well and had early chances, with Marcello Jones scoring for Town only for it to be disallowed after Annear had collided with Tavistock goalkeeper Josh Oak moments earlier.

Jones fired wide shortly after as Town began to stamp their authority on the game, but Tavy then took the lead when Grant slid in to steer Dave Hallett’s free-kick past Ryan Barnes at the near post.

Oak was a key reason for Tavistock’s half-time lead, stopping Jordan Annear’s powerful drive and James Ward’s header before producing a marvellous reaction save from Brabyn in the last seconds of the half.

Town’s pressure continued into the second half and they got their reward in the 51st minute, when Ryan Martt flicked Brabyn’s throw-in towards Annear who fired an unstoppable acrobatic volley past Oak from six yards.

Tempers began to flare on the pitch following a foul on Falmouth right-back David Blizzard, with Lambs duo Warren Daw and Josh Robins both fortunate to only receive yellows for their part in the incident.

Town channelled their frustration positively and took the lead in the 68th minute. Oak tipped Brabyn’s shot towards Annear who returned the ball to the six-yard box towards Jack Webber, but it was Brabyn who steamed in to fire the loose ball into the net.

Falmouth just had to hold out for another 20 minutes or so, but the Lambs were level on 79 minutes thanks to super-sub Sullivan, who struck a brilliant effort past Barnes.

Tavistock had the better of the first half of extra-time, but Annear scored what turned out to be the winner moments before half-time when he slotted past Oak after good work from Brabyn.

Falmouth Packet:

Jordan Annear bursts through to score the winning goal in extra-time

Annear completed his hat-trick in the second half when Rob Wearne forced an error out of Oak, allowing his strike partner to lob into an empty net and get the Ambers’ party started.

Falmouth: R Barnes, D Blizzard, T Annear, J Ward, J Cooper (c), R Martt (J Webber 66), L Brabyn, D Broglino, M Jones (R Wearne 69), J Annear, O Walker (H Clarke 76). Subs (unused): S Pickup, O Moody.