Penryn Athletic got the better of Combination League leaders Helston Athletic on Saturday, winning 2-1 at Kernick Road.

Helston threatened early on with Charlie Young having a shot cleared off the line, but Jack James’ effort from distance put Penryn in front midway through the second half.

The Blues levelled with 15 minutes to go via Jamie Thirkle, but Penryn immediately restored their lead with Ryan Reeve heading home his 27th goal of the season.

Falmouth Town took advantage of their local rivals’ defeat to move to within two points of the Blues after eventually seeing off Lizard Argyle’s challenge.

Town’s top-scorer Gavin Perraton opened the scoring before Dagan Vaughn-Spruce levelled for the hosts just before half-time.

Perraton bagged another from the penalty spot - matching Reeve's 27 goals for the season - before Sam Pickup doubled Town’s lead. Argyle player-manager Craig Pollard pulled one back but Town held on for a 3-2 victory.

Perranporth also made the most of Helston’s slip-up, putting eight goals past bottom side Carharrack.

The scoring was spread evenly, with Luke Wort, Jakob Springall, Justin Searle and Terry Campbell each netting twice for the defending champions.

St Day kept up their own title charge with a nine-goal thrashing of Hayle at Vogue Park.

Dan Richards scored a hat-trick for the Saints, with Chris Dobson, James Daniel, Nathan Taylor, Gavin Boon, Matt Witts and Chris Dower all scoring one goal apiece. Kieran Harris scored a late consolation for Hayle.

St Ives were the only other title chasers to suffer defeat on Saturday, with in-form Perranwell coming from a goal down to win 2-1 at the Saltings.

Simon Stevens gave the hosts the lead on 20 minutes before Rob Pell equalised a few minutes later, with Phil Rees heading home the winning goal with 15 minutes to go.

St Just ended their ten-game winless run with a 5-3 win at home to St Agnes. Jack Willis and Ashley Ellis scored two goals apiece to put the home side 4-0 up within the first 30 minutes.

Darren Edwards pulled one back for the visitors before Ellis completed his hat-trick. Sam Connolly and Dan Lord reduced the deficit to two goals late on but the hosts were already home and dry.

Mullion ended a run of four straight defeats by securing a 2-0 win at home to RNAS Culdrose.

Culdrose will have been buoyed by last week’s nine-goal thrashing of Carharrack, but were undone by a brace from Jack Price.

But Mullion’s victory was topped by Porthleven, who ended a run of 11 straight losses with a 3-1 win at Redruth United.

Marcus Smith, Lee Smith and Matt Dawson secured a rare victory for Port, with Joel Snape scoring Redruth’s consolation.

Pendeen Rovers won 4-1 at home to strugglers West Cornwall. Josh Finlay, Silas Sullivan, Sean Sweeny and Danny Earl netted for Rovers.

Wendron United’s game at home to Illogan RBL was abandoned with seven minutes to go following a serious injury to the Dron’s Matt Larcombe.

Illogan were 4-1 up at the time of the abandonment with goals from Luke Abbott-Smith, Sam Emery, Luke Myers and Ashley Smeeth, while Elliot Webb scored for the hosts.