Wendron United 0, Liskeard Athletic 1

LYLE Johnson's goal was the difference as Wendron United failed to cause an upset in the Cornwall Charity Cup quarter-final on Saturday.

Wendron enjoyed plenty of possession and were more than a match for South West Peninsula League Division 1 West high-flyers but couldn't convert the chances they created

The result was almost incidental on an emotionally charged afternoon at Underlane, with the club playing its first match since the death of chairman Kevin Williamson.

Eager to impress the 200-strong crowd that had turned up to mourn Mr Williamson, Wendron started well and were close to opening the scoring when Sam Humphries headed wide from a free-kick.

But Liskeard, who are yet to taste defeat in the league this season, perhaps should have been in front when 40-goal top-scorer James Lorenz found the ball at his feet six yards out, but Wendron 'keeper Dan Stedman pulled off a brilliant save with his right foot.

Liskeard began to build some pressure midway through the half, with Johnson skewing his effort over the crossbar before Lorenz saw his latest strike blocked.

The rest of the half was end-to-end stuff, with Wendron's TJ Walter curling a shot wide before Ben Waters fired over from close range at the other end.

But the hosts were a whisker away from getting their noses in front in first-half stoppage time, with Jack Stocker's corner kick bouncing off the crossbar to safety.

The Dron started the second half as they did the first with Ben Ringrose having a goalbound shot blocked.

But the action swiftly moved to the other end as Stedman ran out quickly to shepherd the advancing Lorenz out wide. His hopeful cross was seen out for a corner, which missed everyone before being hacked off the line.

It looked for all the world that Lorenz would finally break the deadlock when he broke free of the home defence on the hour, but for another superb stop from Stedman to keep the score level.

Wendron entered a period of pressure of their own, with Cameron Wheat curling a shot onto the roof of the Liskeard net before Rory Jarvis sent his effort inches wide of the top corner.

The hosts kept pushing with Wheat's cross forcing a Liskeard man to clatter his clearance against his own post, before Jarvis spurned a one-on-one against Liskeard 'keeper Jamie Blatchford.

But then came the crucial blow with 20 minutes to go, with Johnson picking up a loose ball 25 yards out and firing it into the bottom corner.

with Stocker having one attempt blocked.

It looked like the hosts had snatched a deserved leveller with just seven minutes left to send the game to extra-time when Walter appeared to have slid Jarvis' cross home at the far post, but Blatchford had thrown himself onto the ball before it could creep over the line.

Wendron: D Stedman, J Souch, R Carroll (S Palmer 77), J Webb, S Humphries, B Ringrose, T Martin, J Stocker, T Walter (C Mulroy 83), R Jarvis, C Wheat. Subs (unused): J Burtenshaw, Y Briar, H Fuller.

Liskeard: J Blatchford, A King, S Gilbert, R Cleveland, D Peel, J Oliver, L Johnson, J Lorenz, S Rogers, B Waters, B Collins. Subs: A Walton, J Discombe, C Copp.