Billericay Town 3, Truro City 2

TRURO City suffered their second defeat of the week as they narrowly slipped to a 3-2 away defeat to Billericay Town at the AGP Arena, writes Cameron Weldon.

After defeat at home on Tuesday at the hands of Wealdstone, City headed to Essex looking for a reaction, although they got off to the worst possible start.

With just three minutes on the clock, Adam Coombes got in behind the Truro back four and played in Moses Emmanuel who tapped home past Rivers for 1-0.

With early goals proving to be the problem again for City, they then had a golden opportunity to equalise just moments later with their first attack of the game. Connor Riley-Lowe’s pin point cross found the head of top scorer Tyler Harvey but his header hit the outside of the post and went out for a goal kick.

Billericay were looking dangerous and it didn’t take them long to double their advantage. With 23 minutes played Moses Emmanuel got his second after he slotted the ball home to put the hosts in cruise control.

The White Tigers did get a life line on 34 minutes when Riley-Lowe’s free kick was fumbled by the Billericay keeper Alan Julian and Nick Grimes was the first to react to finish and get City back in the tie.

Jared Lewington then had a chance to draw Truro level as he broke through the hosts back line and tried his luck with a chip that went just wide of the target.

Ben Rowthorn then had a shot deflected after some neat build up play from the White Tigers before it fell to the feet of Michael Herve who blazed his shot over on the verge of half time.

Falmouth Packet:

City got their equaliser five minutes into the second half as the hosts failed to clear their lines, the ball found its way to Grimes once again who headed in his second of the game.

More chances followed for Truro, firstly with Ben Harding having an shot go over the bar before Alex Battle saw his attempt go wide of the post.

Substitute Ross Lafayette had a golden opportunity to put Billericay ahead but he dragged his shot wide.

The home side weren’t going to be denied for long as minutes later on their next attack Sam Derring fired past a helpless Rivers to put the hosts back in front.

Tyler Harvey then had a penalty decision waved away by the referee Jack Packman as Truro looked to get back on level terms once again.

Niall Thompson picked out substitute Louis Rooney who was quickly closed down and his shot was subsequently blocked.

As City continued to look for the equaliser Lafayette went clean through and once again the forward couldn’t finish as he fired wide.

Despite some late pressure Billericay managed to hold on for all three points and keep Truro well in the relegation battle.

With results going against them City now drop down to 18th in the table. They are next in action on Saturday as they welcome Oxford City to Treyew Road.

Truro: Rivers, Thompson, Riley-Lowe, Grimes, Richards (c), Harding (Allen 72), Herve (Copp 76), Rowthorn, Battle, Harvey, Lewington (L Rooney 67).

Billericay: Julian, Kizzi, Etefe, Wassmer, Rooney, Derring, Moses Emmanuel, Waldren, Coombes, Loza, Howells (c).

Attendance: 820

Falmouth Packet: