Wendron United 1, St Blazey 1

DAN Stedman pulled off an injury-time penalty save to rescue a point for Wendron United in their South West Peninsula League Division 1 West match at home to St Blazey on Saturday.

Jack Stocker had given the Dron the lead before Rory Jarvis’ close-range finish on the stroke of half-time was ruled out after the linesman flagged for offside.

St Blazey responded with a leveller within a minute of the restart through Steve Rogers, but missed the chance to take all three points when Callum McGhee’s injury-time penalty was saved by Dan Stedman.

Wendron were the better side early on and took the lead on 17 minutes when Hayden Fuller’s cross found TJ Walter whose volley was saved by the St Blazey ‘keeper, but only as far as Stocker who sent a looping header into the far corner.

The visitors were a whisker away from equalising almost immediately when they rattled the crossbar, while Cameron Wheat drew a good save from visiting ‘keeper soon after.

But controversy arrived moments before the break when Stocker broke free of the defence and rounded the ‘keeper before squaring to Rory Jarvis to score, only for the referee to award a free-kick for an earlier offside against Stocker.

St Blazey took advantage of this and flew out of the traps at the start of the second, equalising within seconds of kick-off when Steve Rogers’ shot wrong-footed Stedman and rolled into the net.

The hosts dominated for much of the second half, with Walter spurning his side’s best chance of the half after good work from Reece Carroll.

But it was the visitors who were handed the chance to steal all three points in injury-time when Jamie Webb was adjudged to have fouled inside the box. McGhee stepped up but Stedman saved well to his left before quickly diving to the right to clear the ball off the line.

Wendron: D Stedman, J Souch, H Fuller (R Carroll HT), J Burtenshaw, J Webb, B Ringrose (Y Briar 75), T Martin (J Chapman 65), J Stocker, C Wheat, R Jarvis, T Walter. Subs (unused): C Mulroy.

  • Wendron face Saltash United in the semi-final of the Cornwall Senior Cup at Sticker’s Burngullow Park on Wednesday night (kick-off 7.30pm). Live text coverage will be on the Packet website from around 6.30pm.