Wendron United 0, Saltash United 5

WENDRON United’s dream of a first-ever Cornwall Senior Cup final came to an end on Wednesday night following a clinical performance by Saltash United at Sticker’s Burngullow Park.

Daniel Lewis put the defending champions in front from the spot on 15 minutes before Lee Hawkins doubled the lead just before half-time.

Ryan Richards scored a killer third for the Ashes early in the second half before scoring his second and his side’s fourth soon after, with Caleb Summerfield completing the scoring with 20 minutes to go.

The Dron were the underdogs heading into the match but they had the first shot of the game in the fifth minute, with striker Rory Jarvis firing just wide on the half volley.

But the Ashes were in front ten minutes later when Wendron ‘keeper Dan Stedman rushed out of his box and brought down a Saltash man, with Lewis sending him the wrong way from the spot.

But Wendron, ranked 26 league places below their opponents, didn’t let their heads drop and almost levelled when Jarvis raced through and lobbed Saltash ‘keeper Ryan Rickard, but the effort dropped just wide.

Falmouth Packet:

Saltash were kept quiet until ten minutes before the break when Hawkins' powerful strike was destined for the top corner but for a crucial deflection off a Wendron player.

But the Ashes man was not to be denied for too long, and he doubled the nine-time Senior Cup winners’ lead on 40 minutes when he pounced on a team-mate’s shot and prodded it home from close range.

At 2-0 the Dron were still had some hope, but that hope looked to be over ten minutes into the second half when Richards raced onto a through ball and slotted into the corner of Stedman’s net.

To Wendron’s credit they never stopped plugging away and they almost got their reward on 57 minutes when Wheat showed the defence a clean pair of heels and fired past Rickard, but the effort rolled inches wide of the far post.

Rickard was called into action again a few minutes later, making a top save to keep out TJ Walter’s well-struck 30-yard free-kick and preserve his clean sheet.

Falmouth Packet:

But Saltash were not in a charitable mood and extended their lead further at the next opportunity, with Richards firing home from a few yards out at the end of a swift counter.

Four became five with 20 minutes still to play, with Summerfield’s powerful effort from 12 yards proving too hot for Stedman to handle.

Richards then saw two opportunities to complete his hat-trick pass him by, with Joe Souch making an important clearance from the first before Stedman made a superb stop from point-blank range.

With the game well and truly won Saltash looked to get a bit more creative, with Hawkins trying the spectacular with some ball juggling before an overhead kick, although it was straight at Stedman.

Wendron deserved a goal for their persistence and they could hardly have come much closer in the penultimate minute of the game, with Walter pouncing on a half-hearted clearance before striking the outside of the near post from a tight angle.

Saltash will face either Falmouth Town or St Austell in the Cornwall Senior Cup final on Easter Monday, April 22.

Wendron: D Stedman, J Souch, R Carroll, J Webb, S Humphries, J Chapman, T Martin, B Ringrose, T Walter, R Jarvis, C Wheat. Subs: S Palmer, J Burtenshaw, C Mulroy, J Noy, T Collins.

Saltash: R Rickard, D Barker, C Martindale, C Summerfield, C O'Brien, C Menhenick, R Maddison, H Wilson, L Hawkins, R Richards, D Lewis. Subs: D Trott, S Farrant, L Edwards, S Cleary, S Sargison.

Falmouth Packet: