Truro City 1, East Thurrock United 3

TRURO City couldn’t build on two positive performances as they slipped to a 1-3 reverse at the hands of fellow strugglers East Thurrock United at Treyew Road, writes Cameron Weldon.

On the day it was announced that the Cornish Pirates had bought the club off the field, on the field Truro knew that this was going to be a huge 90 minutes in the National League South relegation battle.

In a game so anticipated, it didn’t disappoint. Truro got off to a nightmare start as early goals proved to be the problem yet again. This time two minutes was all it took for the visitors to take the lead. A free kick was whipped in and it found the head of Rickie Hayles who headed past a helpless Harvey Rivers for 0-1.

Truro reacted superbly and equalised just two minutes later, again from a free kick. A fantastic ball was floated in and it found the head of Nick Grimes who lifted his header over the goalkeeper despite his best efforts, to draw City level.

Thurrock were looking the more threatening and had two golden opportunities to retake the lead wasted by skipper Sam Higgins, as both his efforts went wide of the post.

Truro did start to get more a foot hold in the game and as the half progressed, they saw a number of corners comfortably cleared by the visitors meaning the two teams went into the break on level terms.

East Thurrock were straight out of the blocks at the start of the second period and it took them just 25 seconds to get their goal. Straight from kick off they charged at the Truro defence and Ben Marlow fired the Essex side back in front.

Falmouth Packet:

Truro knew they had to find a way back into the game and Leigh Robinson looked to his bench to do so on the hour mark. Ben Harding and Jason Banton, we’re introduced to try to make an impact.

Higgins again was causing problems and was denied his sides third by a brilliant save from Harvey Rivers.

Banton was looking lively and after beating two players with a few nutmegs saw a tame shot go straight at Giddens.

With City looking for their equaliser, they were always going to run the risk of conceding another and that’s exactly what they did on 70 minutes, when Amos Nasha was on hand at the back post to bundle in a cross to give Truro a mountain to climb.

Truro had to get back into the game. Niall Thompson was moved up front and started to cause problems for the Thurrock defenders but still City failed to create any real meaningful chances.

Falmouth Packet:

East Thurrock pounced on a midfield error and should have put the game to bed, but the post came to Truro’s rescue. A disappointing day at the office for the White Tigers who now sit just five points off the relegation places.

They continue their battle for survival on Saturday as they head to the team level on points with them in Dulwich Hamlet.

Truro: Rivers, Thompson, Riley-Lowe, Grimes, Bentley, Richards (c), Allen, Battle (Ziboth 71), D Rooney (Harding 60), Harvey, Lewington (Banton 60).

East Thurrock: Giddens, Burns, Diallo Ibrahim, Marlow, Scott, Sheehan, Nasha, Hayles, Higgins (c), Osborn, Harris.

Attendance: 429

Falmouth Packet: