Wendron United 1, St Day 3

TYLER Oliver's injury-time strike sent defending Combination League Cup champions St Day into this year's final after finally overcoming a resilient Wendron United side at Illogan RBL's Oxland Parc on Sunday.

Despite a dominant first half from a St Day perspective it was Wendron who led at the break through Lee Pawley, but Oliver levelled the game on the hour before completing the turnaround with another in the first minute of injury time, while Gavin Boon made the game safe two minutes later.

The Saints will now play Illogan in the final on Easter Sunday, April 21.

St Day took the game by the scruff of the neck more or less from the off, but had little to show for it other than a wayward Boon effort on seven minutes.

That was until a succession of corners eventually resulted in Matt Witts heading at goal on 25 minutes, with Matt Larcombe able to head it off the line.

Wendron slowly gained a foothold in the match with Jack Noy sending an opportunistic shot wide, before Jacob Cleverly tested Wendron 'keeper Jamie Stuart with a shot from the edge of the box soon after.

The Dron then took the lead against the run of the half shortly before the break after St Day 'keeper Ben Whiting dropped a catch at the feet of Pawley, who was able to compose himself and tap into the empty net.

The Saints resumed control of the match when the teams returned for the second half with Dan Richards and Chris Dower coming close before Noy had a go from distance at the other end.

St Day's pressure finally told on the hour mark when Richards' corner was met by Oliver who sent a looping header into the bottom corner of Stuart's net.

But Wendron kept their heads up with Noy's cross having to be dealt with before it could reach Pawley who was lurking at the six-yard box.

But it was certainly the defending champions who were looking more likely to progress, but just couldn't find a way to get the ball in the net again.

That was until the first minute of added time when Oliver picked the ball up on the edge of the box and took a couple of touches before driving the ball hard and low into past Stuart to break Wendron hearts.

Any questions over whether there was enough time for another twist were firmly put to bed int he 93rd minute when a save from Stuart fell kindly to Boon who couldn't miss from six yards.

Wendron United: J Stuart, B Andrew, M Larcombe, J Moseley, E Webb, M Potts, W Paul, L Potts, J Noy, M Bowden, L Pawley. Subs: E Holden, S Fuller, B Holden, J Prowse, T Collins.

St Day: B Whiting, T Hogarth, A Stephens, L Hart, M Witts, C Dobson, J Cleverly, D Richards, G Boon, C Dower. Subs: R Hosking, J Crossman, S Buckley, N Taylor.