Wendron United 3, Plymstock United 2

WENDRON United twice came from behind to eventually see off a stern Plymstock United side in their South West Peninsula League Division 1 West match at the Underlane.

Connor Rush gave the visitors the lead midway through the first half before Cameron Wheat levelled four minutes later.

Plymstock restored their lead early in the second half through Jacob Smale but Will Paul replied around ten minutes after with a long-range lob, before a Seb Broomfield own goal completed the turnaround just over a minute later.

Both teams started brightly with Wendron duo Cameron Wheat and Jamie Webb having efforts saved by Plymstock's Jordan Stidson inside two minutes, before Jacob Smale tested Dan Stedman in the other goal shortly after.

TJ Walter had a fine game down the right and it was his good work that led to a brilliat chance on nine minutes. His cross was met by the head Wheat at the back of the six-yard box but Mike O'Neill was unable to turn it past Stidson.

Falmouth Packet:

Wendron then had a lucky escape after some sloppiness in defence allowed Rush to shoot past Stedman, with Hayden Fuller getting back to clear from three yards.

But the visitors capitalised on their next opportunity on 18 minutes when they broke free down the left through Jacob Smale, whose low cross was converted by Rush.

But the hosts were back on terms four minutes later when Walter's superb through ball was missed by a Plymstock defender, with Wheat taking full advantage to nip in and fire past Stidson.

But they were almost undone again a short while Jason King's header fell to Chris West inside the six-yard box, but Jack Stocker was in the right place at the right time to to hoof it clear before the Plymstock man could stick it in.

Falmouth Packet:

Wendron nearly took a lead going into the interval when Jack Burtenshaw found some space on the right flank and decided to have a go from distance, with the right-back's effort flying inches past the top left corner.

But it was the Plymouth club that were next to score ten minutes into the second half, with Wendron losing possession just inside their half and Smale is put through on goal before slotting into the bottom corner.

With their tails up, the visitors came forward again with Sam Humphries having to intercept a dangerous cross before it reached the six-yard box.

But the 'Dron were back on terms a few moments later and in some style, with Stidson's clearance reaching half-time sub Paul on the far touchline, who took a touch before firing the ball into the bottom corner from all of 40 yards.

Barely 60 seconds had passed before Wendron got their noses in front. The visitors, still reeling from conceding the equaliser, were carved open down the left by Tom Martin whose low cross was turned into his own net by Broomfield.

Falmouth Packet:

The hosts pressed for a third with Ben Ringrose having a header cleared off the line before Humphries and Stocker nearly got on the end of two different set pieces.

Plymstock searched desperately for an equaliser as the game entered the final few minutes. Yeoman fired wide from the edge of the box and Aaron Hulme headed over from a corner.

The visitors were then screaming for a penalty when one man went down inside the box under a heavy Burtenshaw challenge, but the referee waved away their appeals.

There was drama in the third minute of added time as Wendron countered from a free-kick with Stidson having gone up for the kick. Wheat raced clear to tee up Walter to tap into an empty net, but the linesman had flagged for offside against Wheat.

Wendron: D Stedman, J Burtenshaw, H Fuller, J Webb, S Humphries, B Ringrose, T Martin (R Carroll 72), J Stocker, T Walter, M O'Neill (W Paul HT), C Wheat. Subs (unused): M Trise.

Plymstock: J Stidson, S Russell (L Taylor 64), S Broomfield (H Bunning 73), C West, J Winters, J King, R Yeoman, A Parker, A Hulme, C Rush, J Smale. Subs (unused): M Phillpotts.

Falmouth Packet: