Helston Athletic 1, Elburton Villa 1

A LAST-GASP goal denied Helston Athletic another three points as Elburton Villa rescued a draw in their South West Peninsula League Premier match at Kellaway Park on Saturday.

Ryan Beattie had given the hosts the lead midway through the second half, and the points looked to be heading the Blues’ way until Sam Carter popped up in the 95th minute to salvage a draw for the visitors at the death.

Elburton had the only meaningful chance of a relatively quiet opening quarter, with man-of-the-match Barrie Wyatt in the Helston goal producing a good save to deny the onrushing striker.

Helston had to wait until the 29th minute for their first effort on goal when Beattie came close with a glancing header, but then had a strong penalty appeal turned down moments later to the displeasure of the home dugout and supporters.

Falmouth Packet:

But the Blues were dealt a blow towards the end of the half when last week’s hero Al Williams, who had replaced the injured Lewis Tonkin, had to go off himself after suffering a knee injury.

But smiles were back on Helston faces 18 minutes into the second half when Beattie got his head to Matt Bye’s free-kick, with the ball looping into Jack Dixon’s net.

It looked as if Helston were going to hold on for another three points, but they were cruelly denied in the fifth minute of stoppage time with Carter netting to send Villa back across the border with a point.

Helston: B Wyatt, K Davies, J Thirkle, R Beattie, H Jewell, R Chinn, L Tonkin (A Williams 14, J Flamank 38), M Bye, S Beattie, A Wharton, K Cornish. Subs (unused): K Daughtery, K England, G Roberts.

Elburton: J Dixon, S Corben, R Hamilton, J Rundle, L Chrimes, R Lowton, K Smith, J Tattersall, N Aplin, J Miller, S Carter. Subs: S Tattersall, R Mann, S McClements.

Falmouth Packet:

  • It was happier times for Helston on Wednesday night when they ran out 4-1 winners at home to Laucneston.

Kai Cornish grabbed the headlines with an excellent hat-trick, while Charlie Young, who has been a star for the Blues’ reserve side this season, notched a hat-trick of assists.

The other goal for the hosts was scored by Lewis Tonkin, who netted his first senior goal for the club shortly before half-time.

Jordan Walton scored for Launceston.

Young goalkeeper Kieran Daughtery made his home debut for the club, deputising for first-choice ‘keeper Barrie Wyatt, and gave a good account of himself throughout.

Falmouth Packet: