Helston Athletic 1, Ivybridge Town 1

PHIL Cattran's injury-time goal rescued a point for Helston Athletic in their latest South West Peninsula League Premier match at Kellaway Park.

Kelvin Fyneboy had given Ivybridge the lead early in the second half, but Cattran's late strike rescued a draw in the final moments of what was a match lacking in quality throughout.

Both sides are languishing in mid-table and the match had a distinct 'end-of-season' feel to it, with neither side set to trouble the top or bottom ends of the table as the season draws to a close.

Chances were few and far between throughout, with Kai Cornish sending the first effort of the match into the arms of Ivybridge 'keeper Martin Piper in the sixth minute, who gathered the ball at the second attempt.

Cattran tested Piper soon after before an unmarked Jake Anderson shot wide at the back post at the other end, although he was deemed to be offside anyway.

The goalkeepers then enjoyed a 15-minute period of relaxation with neither 'keeper being faced with a shot until the 30th minute, when visiting midfielder James Rowe was given plenty of time and space inside the box to shoot, with the effort flying wide of Barrie Wyatt's goal.

Helston were somehow still on level terms two minutes later after Ivybridge missed a gilt-edged chance to score. Fyneboy was the guilty party, with the Ivies striker blasting Connor McAuley's low cross against the crossbar from about five yards when it looked far easier to score.

Fyneboy had the chance to redeem himself a few minutes later when he was put through on the right side of the box but dragged the shot into the side netting.

Fyneboy was in the thick of action right up until half-time, first having an effort fly past the post from the edge of the box before being clattered by Wyatt near the touchline, who picked up a yellow card for the challenge.

But the visitors opened the scoring eight minutes into the second half when the home side lost their concentration in their own third, allowing a cross to come in and reach Fyneboy, who made amends for his earlier miss to head home from six yards.

The goal woke up the home side somewhat and they began to attack with a bit more purpose, with Jamie Thirkle sending a shot wide from a good position before Piper had to race out of goal to deny the advancing Cornish.

The Blues were enjoying more of the ball but were struggling to do much with it, with Scott Beattie sending a hopeful shot high and wide before heading Matt Bye's free-kick into Piper's arms.

Helston turned to the long throw of Phil Cattran as the game ticked into the final minute of the 90, and it almost paid dividends when it found Ryan Chinn in a good position inside the box, but the midfielder dragged his shot well wide.

But just when their hopes of salvaging anything from the game looked to be over, they did just that in the second minute of added time.

Bye managed to knock Cornish's cross down to Cattran who took a touch before driving the ball at goal, with the shot ricocheting off defender Owen Haslem and into the face of Ivies team-mate Josh Zimmerman and into the empty net behind.

Helston: B Wyatt, K Davies, R Beattie, I Dryburgh, K Woodhouse (L Hemsley 90), R Chinn, K Cornish, M Bye, S Beattie, P Cattran, J Thirkle. Subs (unused): J Hannaford, J Flamank, K England, K Daughtery.

Ivybridge: M Piper, H Bell, P Bromhead, S Pocock, J Zimmerman, D Youldon (J Lane 8), J Rowe, O Haslem, K Fyneboy, C McAuley, J Anderson (J Algar 66). Subs (unsued): J Seery, H Purslove.