Falmouth Town 4, Callington Town 0

FALMOUTH Town put in a blistering second-half display to see off Callington Town in the South West Peninsula League Premier on Saturday.

The teams went into the half-time interval goalless, but Town, playing at their Bickland Park home after seven consecutive away games games, ran riot after the break, with David Broglino, Matt Buchan, Jack Bowyer and Andrew Westgarth all netting to secure a third successive league win for the first time since early October.

Falmouth's first match on their Bickland pitch for six weeks began brightly, with Buchan having a low cross snuffed out before Kev McCallion's shot was blocked at the other end inside the first four minutes.

The home fans were celebrating on ten minutes when the referee pointed to the spot after Tim Nixon took a tumble in the box, but reversed the decision and showed a yellow to the Falmouth man for simulation after consulting his linesman.

Falmouth Packet:

Bowyer was making a big impact inside both boxes, first having a shot blocked inside the Callington area before racing back to clear a shot off the line following a Callington counter shortly after.

A six-minute break in play followed as Callington's Lee Robinson was eventually stretchered off after he landed awkwardly when jumping for a header.

The game then petered out until half-time, with Broglino's edge-of-the-box effort being tipped away from the top corner by visiting 'keeper Sam Borthwick the only other action before the break.

Buchan almost broke the deadlock three minutes into the second half when he met Nixon's low cross first time, with the powerful strike heading for the net but for a vital block by a Callington body.

But the hosts were in front another three minutes later when the referee awarded a penalty for handball against Callington's Paul McAdam, with Broglino firing the resulting spot kick down the middle of Borthwick's goal.

Bowyer was close to doubling the lead a few moments after the restart when he tried his luck with a half-volley from the right flank, with the strike dipping narrowly wide of the far post.

Falmouth Packet:

A second goal was looking likelier by the moment and it duly arrived in the 57th minute. Nixon's cross was clawed away by Borthwick but only into the path of Buchan at the back post, who composed himself before knocking it past the 'keeper from close range.

It was beginning to look like a matter of how many Town were going to score, with Buchan having a diving header cleared off the line before Borthwick smothered his latest effort from ten yards, with the 'keeper also on hand to claim Nixon's free-kick.

The almost inevitable third goal arrived midway through the second half when Bowyer headed Nixon's chipped through ball past the onrushing Borthwick, before rolling it into the empty net in front of the jubilant home supporters.

Falmouth Packet:

But the biggest cheer of the day came 11 minutes from time when player-manager Westgarth, fresh from the bench after replacing Buchan, burst into the box and drove the ball into the bottom left corner before wheeling away in delight.

He could have another a couple of minutes later when he met fellow sub David Blizzard's right-wing cross but could not steer it on target, with James Ward firing over the bar in a good position shortly after from Broglino's corner.

Town took their foot off the gas somewhat as the game entered the final few minutes, allowing Sam Marker to give the largely untested Ryan Barnes some catching practice with a long-distance effort at the other end, before Harry Caton missed the chance to grab a consolation when he fired wide a couple of minutes before the end.

Falmouth: R Barnes, J Webber, O Moody, M Duff (D Blizzard 60), R Martt (J Cooper 60), J Ward, L Brabyn, D Broglino, M Buchan (A Westgarth 71), J Bowyer, T Nixon.

Callington: S Borthwick, S Marker, C Holder, J Freeman-Wright, D Jefferies, P McAdam, M Lucas, H Caton, K McCallion, L Robinson, R Lucassi. Subs: C Freeman, G Harvey, T Borthwick.

Falmouth Packet: