Bodmin Town 1, Helston Athletic 5

PHIL Cattran scored a five-minute hat-trick at Helston Athletic earned their biggest win of the season at Bodmin Town's Priory Park on Saturday.

Matt Bye gave the Blues an early lead before Cattran's quickfire treble put Helston four goals up inside 30 minutes. Bodmin pulled one back before half-time when Ryan Beattie headed into his own net, but another own goal, this time from Bodmin's Danny O'Hagan, after the break sealed Helston's 13th win of the South West Peninsula League season.

The Blues were in front after just seven minutes when Scott Beattie controlled Lewis Tonkin's deep cross inside the box and teed up Bye to slot in from close range.

The two teams traded blows soon after with Jake Miller firing a cross-shot wide of the mark for the hosts before Kai Cornish curled one over from the edge of the box at the other end.

But Helston found themselves two goals to the good on 21 minutes with Beattie and Bye involved again, this time combining to put Cattran through, who beat the offside trap before rolling the ball into the bottom corner.

Two became three a couple of minutes later with Cattran earning his second of the game. The Helston frontman put pressure on the home defence and was rewarded for his efforts when he charged down Tom Whipp's clearance inside the box, with the ball ricocheting into the back of the net.

Cattran completed his blistering hat-trick in the 26th minute with a superb first-time finish following an excellent run down the right flank from Cornish, with the youngster's low cross being rifled into the corner from ten yards to put the Blues four goals up against their shellshocked hosts.

Tonkin came close to making it five with a long-range effort flying narrowly over the crossbar, before the home side pulled one back when Miller's cross was diverted past Barrie Wyatt by the head of centre-back Ryan Beattie.

Wyatt was then forced into action to deny Miller, who looked set to pull another goal back when he broke through the defence but was thwarted by a good save from the Helston 'keeper.

The hosts came out stronger after the break but could not add to their score, and Helston made them pay for it with 12 minutes to go when Kirk Davies' free-kick delivery from the centre circle was prodded in by the unfortunate O'Hagan.

Helston: B Wyatt, K Davies, A Williams (M Hallibone 75), R Beattie, L Tonkin, R Chinn, K Cornish, M Bye, S Beattie, P Cattran, J Thirkle (S Young 82). Subs (unused): H Jewell, K England, T Dryburgh.