Porthleven 1, Wendron United 0

TORNADO Bello's late strike snatched victory from the jaws of defeat for Porthleven in their South West Peninsula League match at home to Wendron United on Good Friday.

Wendron were the likelier of the two sides to break the deadlock, having seen a hatful of chances go by in the second half, but Bello made them pay for failing to take any of them when he struck in the 86th minute to snatch victory for the home side.

Bello, who was originally named in the starting line-up but later reverted to sub after being stuck in traffic, has now broken Wendron hearts twice this season, after he scored an injury-time leveller to rescue a 2-2 draw in the reverse fixture at the Underlane on Boxing Day.

The win also confirms a third-place finish for the Fishermen, while Wendron must avoid a heavy defeat in their final game against Liskeard Athletic to secure a top-six finish.

Falmouth Packet:

The first half was much the quieter of the two, with the first effort on goal coming in the tenth minute when Dan Hindmarch, Bello's replacement in the starting line-up, met Rob Carey's cross and brought a good save out of 'Dron 'keeper Antony Williams.

The first 30 minutes passed without any big opportunities for either side, with Cameron Wheat and Rory Jarvis having half chances for Wendron while Carey came close with a lobbed effort for Port.

Wendron ended the half the stronger of the two sides with Will Paul almost tapping in Wheat's low cross at the far post, before Wheat clipped the post with a header from Reece Carroll's cross.

That continued into the second half with the Dron having three chances to score inside the first minute. Jarvis struck the crossbar with the first effort and Wheat's follow-up was destined for the bottom corner but for a fine stop by Parker-Billinge, with Sam Humphries' header being saved at point-blank range from the resulting corner.

Falmouth Packet:

Humphries got the better of the Port 'keeper with another header soon after but the crossbar came to the hosts' aid this time, before Bello's shot was easily saved by Williams at the other end.

Wendron's dominance continued with Wheat curling over from 20 yards before Jarvis fired over from a good position.

Porthleven slowly gained a foothold in the match again with Matt Drummond shooting over from the edge of the box, before the hosts missed their own gilt-edged chance with an unmarked George Molcher putting the ball agonisingly wide from eight yards.

Falmouth Packet:

Tensions were running high and an offside call against Jarvis led to Wendron boss Jack Greenwood being sent to the stands after voicing his displeasure at the decision.

The visitors were back on the front foot and looking the more likely side to snatch a late winner, with Wheat the latest to miss the target after turning a cross over the bar from close range.

But it was the home side who were celebrating an unlikely victory in the 86th minute, with Bello jinking past one defender before drilling the ball into the bottom corner to the delight of the home support.

Porthleven: S Parker-Billinge, S Kellow, M Fox, D Greet, C Wormington, H Dark, D Hindmarch (T Bello HT), G Molcher (M Everard 76), R Carey, M Drummond, J Sims. Subs (unused): P Reynolds, M Rodden, D Tarrant.

Wendron: A Williams, J Souch, R Carroll, J Webb, S Humphries, B Ringrose, T Martin (J Chapman 76), J Stocker, W Paul (J Burtenshaw 90), R Jarvis, C Wheat. Subs (unused): H Fuller.

Falmouth Packet: