HELSTON Athletic thrashed local rivals Falmouth Town in their opening match of the 2019 Dave Gardner Memorial Tournament.

Mark Goldsworthy, Matt Bye, Ryan Beattie, Alex Wharton and Scott Beattie netted for the Blues in an ill-temperered game, which saw Falmouth pair Jack Bowyer and Joe Cooper sent to the sin bin, while player-manager Andrew Westgarth was sent off and coach Mickey Westgarth was also booked.

Falmouth could have led in the fourth minute when Matt Buchan's lob got the better of Helston 'keeper Jason Robertson, but a whistle for a foul by the striker quickly curtailed any celebrations.

Alfie Flack tested Ryan Barnes with a good low shot moment later, before the game sprang into life again in the 15th minute.

Buchan was unable to get a shot away from inside the box after a free-kick at one end, with Cameron Wheat immediately countering for the hosts but saw his run halted by Ollie Moody.

The young winger then headed wide a minute later, but Goldsworthy soon opened the scoring with a wonderful turn and shot into the top corner from around 15 yards.

Falmouth's hopes of a leveller before half-time were not helped by Jack Bowyer being sent to the sin bin for ten minutes, with the rule coming into force at all local levels this season.

But the only chance in Bowyer's ten-minute absence was for Town, with Joe Cooper's header being saved by Jason Robertson.

Wheat gets his head to a cross at the far post with Barnes just about keeping it out.

Town were close to levelling on the hour when Bowyer's right-wing cross almost found the far corner, but the Blues soon doubled their lead when Wharton fed Bye inside the box, who moved the ball on to his left and drilled it past Barnes.

Ryan Beattie, on as a sub, then effectively killed off the tie minutes later with a fine header from close range.

The match took a bizarre turn soon after as Town player-manager Westgarth picked up two yellows for arguing with referee Nigel D'Arcy on the sideline, with coach Mickey Westgarth also earning a yellow himself.

The game had barely restarted before Cooper was given his temporary marching orders, with Helston taking full advantage as Wharton made it four shortly after by slotting in from Scott Beattie's ball.

Beattie himself then completed the rout two minutes from time when he converted Olly Brokenshire's cross from close range.

Helston: J Robertson, K Davies, G Roberts, H Howlett, L Tonkin, O Brokenshire, C Young, H Jewell, C Wheat, A Flack, M Goldsworthy. Subs: R Beattie, S Beattie, M Bye, J James, A Wharton.

Falmouth: R Barnes, R Talbot, O Moody, R Martt, J Cooper, B Oliver, J Webber, D Broglino, M Buchan, J Bowyer, T Nixon. Subs: A Westgarth.